09 October, 2019

traveling twice the speed of sound, it's easy to get burned

So, pursuant to this entry yesterday, a far more technical friend than I explained that I have been mistaking "linking"--which is code that opens a separate window to view whatever--with "embedding"--which is code that displays something on the entry.

Oh.

The analogy he used was I'm that annoying neighbor who's been stealing her neighbor's bandwidth for years, and getting upset when he finally realizes and changes the wifi password. Now, my retort to that was, I didn't think I was stealing bandwidth directly from Google; I thought I was pulling bandwidth directly from my allocated storage on my section of Google Photos.

Which is when he hit me with, Google's fine with me sending out individual links to people so those individual people can view that photo once, but they are manifestly not okay with picture embedding. Further, he informed me, I have been deliberately violating Google's Terms of Service by doing this.

So Google's ToS was last updated in October of 2017:
Don’t misuse our Services. For example, don’t interfere with our Services or try to access them using a method other than the interface and the instructions that we provide. You may use our Services only as permitted by law, including applicable export and re-export control laws and regulations. We may suspend or stop providing our Services to you if you do not comply with our terms or policies or if we are investigating suspected misconduct.
And this is the only passage that even vaguely addresses the issue my friend told me about. Confused? Yes. Still haven't solved the problem? Yep. Looking for alternate solutions? Absolutely.

And not looking forward to going back through all the haunt entries from the beginning of September and checking to ensure the photos still display.

Moving on! The blurb for the Haunting of Hill Valley said:
The founder of Hill Valley came here to create a peaceful village. Instead, because of his madness, he create a nightmare that haunted the village for generations.

GTFO, Drive, haunted, spooky, ghosts, photographic, witch, horror
GTFO? Does that mean something different than the phrase that's in my mind? Seems odd as a keyword.



Hmm. Good flickering light effect on the windows. Noticeable, but not objectionable, soundtrack. F.E.A.R. game rip in a wheelchair rolling around. So we're two out of three to start.



Oh, good. A floating rip from The Evil Within. Charming.



Thanks, I hate it. The rips are getting on my nerves.



Right, that's it, I'm leaving. I'm not even bothering to check out the rest of the haunt. Avoid this one as if it will give you lesions.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...