07 October, 2019

there’s a thirst in your eyes when you’re looking at me

The description for the Missing Mile Dark Rural Community says of itself:
Once the host of ritual murders, disappearances and biochemical experiments by the government, this town hold its fair share of secrets. Residential with opt-in roleplay. Vampire, Werewolf, Zombies , Witches, Alien , Ghost , Redneck , Hobo, Grunge, Soap.
When I landed, I was IMed:
[14:10] Soap (soapco): Hello Emilly! Welcome to Missing Mile dark rural community!

We are a residential sim within WoS. We feature affordable rentals and opt-in roleplay. Accept the group invite for the latest sim news and your starter RP tag.

NO TAG REQUIRED FOR OOC VISITORS OR PHOTOGRAPHERS!
Oh, that's good news. I still may change my tag to something that more reflects what I'm doing here.
[14:10] Soap (soapco): Looking for a home? Check our map for available rentals. For more roleplay information, visit our website ---WOSRPG
I'll keep that in mind.



We begin in a run-down train station. Appropriate.



Of course a "dark rural community" has swamp shacks. And the ghost crab is a nifty touch. What I want to know more than that, though, is--what's the X in the water for?



Apparently, there are also shops on sim. Behind the two mannequins are vendors, mostly for clothing and urban accessories, boots and the like. There is a vendor just to their left, though, that somewhat matches the outfit on the one closest to it, and it's reflective of Clockwork Orange. What does Clockwork Orange have to do with the World of Soap?



Oh, Missing Mile, you were doing so well...until this. On the other hand, the fast food restaurant behind this bus stop is Mooby's, and Soap itself started out as the Paper Street Soap Company, from Fight Club, so...yeah. Maybe they've always had copyright infringement going on.

Here's my thing--I've been involved in a lot of fandoms over the years. In SL, in RL, and there's always a fine line between homage and absolute infringement. For instance, someone who makes a nurse costume from Silent Hill and wears it to a convention, that is more fan tribute than direct violation of intellectual property--though, as I said, I will grant the line is fine.

There's at least two Silent Hill sims I know of in SL, and if I saw Robbie anywhere on those sims, that would make sense. Yes, it would still be a rip, because that doll comes directly out of Silent Hill 3, but it would be an understandable in the sense of fans creating things for fans. It might still be actionable, if someone legally cared to pursue it, but it would make sense.

This? In Missing Mile? Makes zero sense. It's clearly copyright infringement, it has nothing else to do with the rest of the sim, it's jarringly out of place.



And Totoro. Which is even more jarring. Maybe it's just something about the bus stops in town? Is that it? The rest of the place is basically okay but the bus stops are nightmares of actionable content?

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...