05 October, 2020

I could take a Greyhound home, but when I got there it'd be gone

"Halloween Nightmare," the listing said.
"Dare to wander in the night? Come face your deepest, darkest nightmares where you pray you make it out alive! Asylum escape house, haunted mortuary, and challenge yourself in the Temple of Doom."
Huh. Okay, let's go see.

(Late insert from the Editrix: this entry posted without the location! I'm so sorry, it's fixed now!)

nightmare1

I'm...not sure how to describe this one. Some haunts are just haunted ground we wander; some are tied up in a house, or a carnival, or an asylum...This one? It's like a collection of set pieces, more than anything else.

nightmare2

Be warned going in, there's at least one spider corridor, and they are active.

nightmare3

To be fair, some of the set pieces were really nice. This one had hands reaching up around the raised slabs, candles burning, and in a tree nearby, a skeleton happily swings back and forth from its knees.

nightmare4

I have to say, I like their dance floor. I may have to return to find out who made it, and nab one of my own.

nightmare5

These three stood around a cauldron, in front of a cabin, and maybe it's just me, they all looked like Alice Krige. They also didn't seem to match the feel of any other sets on the land.

nightmare6

I left the overlay slightly too dark to allow easy reading, so the plaque behind the two statues says,
"Stop Traveller, as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, you soon will be
So prepare for Death, and follow me."
nightmare7

I've seen this build before. I was pretty sure when the stairs up had a switchback and rose three levels to the top door, but this tilted hallway confirmed it.

nightmare8

And this one says:
Stop!!!
DO NOT ENTER
IF YOU HAVE ANY
MEDICAL CONDITION
THAT MAY BE
TRIGGERED BY
FLASHING OR
SWIRLING LIGHTS!
And it was here I decided to stop. I don't have any medical condition triggered by lights, but I didn't particularly feel like going through it either.

Past this point, there's a tiny carnival, a small graveyard, and the most singularly depressing asylum I've ever walked through, but...for the most part, that's all this is. Barring the dance floor, it's basically a walking tour, and there's not a lot of consistency beyond bones, spiders, and fog.

Still, there are worse haunts out there, and there are some nice pieces, as said, so...it's a nice walk, if nothing else? I'd give it three out of five skulls for effort.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...