16 September, 2019

shooting tin cans with a sawed-off shotgun

I preface this by saying this comes from the group chat of a fairly well-known maker of mesh on the grid, and also, that I wasn't there for the original contretemps. I wish I had been, but I present the aftermath, because there are some tips within it I want to preserve.
[12:53] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: FYI [12:33] Jxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxx: I just spoke with [Exxxxxx], no need to be a jerk and eject me over something you know is a problem, I've also helped members is your group. Do as you wish. I will be filing my tickets.
Now, as evidenced by later conversation, no one seems to know if this means filing support tickets with this maker of mesh templates, which is an option on their website, or actually filing abuse tickets with the Lindens.
[12:53] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: idk what these "tickets" are for, but thought you should know
[12:53] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: uhh they ejected him for the issue he had yesterday?
[12:54] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: after talking to [MX], yes, I did
[12:54] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: who is [MX]?
[12:54] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: The owner
[12:54] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: along w [Mxxx]
The moderators in this group have a lot of powers, but where ejection is involved, they talk to the group owners first. I actually respect that a bit more, as I still can't get back into one particular Maitreya group because of one moderator who lost her mind, and the owners just let her. It at least feels more fair on the surface to know the decision came from the highest levels.
[12:55] Pxxxxxx Hxxxxxxxxx: drama drama
[12:55] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: well, not anymore lol
[12:55] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I am guessing he is going to open a ticket with LL about abuse or some made up stuff . *shrugs* You have the right to eject whoever you please and ban them from your stuff.
[12:56] Axxxxx Dxxxxx: no one has a right to be in a group
Yes, exactly. I challenged my ban from that one group with the owners. I never heard back, but I did attempt to explain the decision. Ultimately, they chose not to accept me back in. And that is their right. No one *deserves* group membership for any reason, whether or not it's a paid group.
[12:56] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: I only remember he had difficulty with the fits and was suppose to send in tickets to [Exx] for a fix or something along those lines
[12:56] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: LL will not get involved in this kind of dispute
No, of course not. That's not their job, preservation of the grid and their business is their job.
[12:56] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: oh i know
[12:57] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: They're smart... who needs to be pulled into drama?
[12:57] Dxxxx Bxxxxxxxx: so nice when they try the "I'm gonna report you" threat
To be fair, usually we hear that level of petty threatening from your prototypical Karens, but it sounds just about as powerless from anyone else.
[12:57] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: did he not want to send in the notecard for fixes?
[12:57] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: he claimed he did, over and over and over
[12:57] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: just stirring up trouble
[12:58] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: but apparently that was a false claim
[12:59] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxxx: You'd be surprised how many claim that but don't actually send a nc Actually, I wouldn't, but there's always room to be further disappointed.
[12:59] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: yeah
[12:59] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: i believe it lol
[12:59] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I can almost hear them thinking "Isn't an IM the same as an NC??"
[13:00] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: lol
[13:00] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: I send a IM and a Notecard to let them know I sent a Notecard and put the IM usually at the top of the notecard lol
To be fair, I've done that too. And there is a bit of reason behind that, because I've had people IM me back and say that email told them they were given a notecard, but they can't find it. So I send it again.
[13:02] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I don't remember this person's issue.... but sometimes people ask for something that cannot (easily) be fixed without an entire reworking
There's that, too. Especially with mesh, if someone wants a template rigged for a certain body, and the maker doesn't have the dev kit for that body? There's not much they can do. Many get around that by expanding the fitmesh options and listing them as "(Body) Experimental". And sometimes that works pretty well. But just complaining "You didn't make this product for X body!" will get people nowhere.
[13:02] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and expect it to be done while they wait
[13:02] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: it was his usual rant, about all the problems he has with the meshes fitting right, having to use alphas, why are there no demos, blah blah blah
...Wait. Having to use alphas? Has he completely lost his mind? Mesh bodies have alphas for a reason. Are all the cuts perfect on mesh bodies for all our needs? Of course not, but trial and error will help to figure out which templates will work within our body's alpha cuts, and which will not. It just takes time...and half a brain.
[13:02] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: (it just gets put onto the "to do someday maybe" list)
[13:03] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: like a broken record
[13:03] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: You all are not being kind
[13:03] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I buy from [mxxx]
[13:03] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: He helped me
I don't think anyone, least of all the fellow in question, is denying that he helped people with fitting issues in this group. I believe what's being said is, prove yourself enough of a jerk, and it doesn't matter how much you help people. That's not kind, or unkind, it's simply truth.
[13:03] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: that's good
[13:03] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: If a re-rigging is required, its going to take a bit of time, because they have people who do the rigging
[13:03] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: It amazes me how many people expect clothes to fit without an alpha. There's a REASON why there is an alpha tab
[13:03] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: yes
[13:04] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: he apparently bought alot of things and was discovering all were not perfect fits... like when he dances.. which.. we all know..to use alphas as some motions are outside the expectations of rigging.. maybe he new and didnt understand .. who knows.
And my brain fell out on this bit, too. Listen. LISSSSEN. This is important. NO MESH TEMPLATE ON THE GRID WILL WORK WITH EVERY ANIMATION SET. Anyone who thinks so has also lost their mind. I keep several AOs around, simply because it takes time to edit all the poses I like into a single one, but I do not expect any of them to keep me seamlessly within my outfit. That's just not POSSIBLE.

But also, the original avatar in question that was booted? Has spent eleven years on the grid. So unless he is fundamentally, physically unable in some way to learn, there's no excuse for him.
[13:04] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: what I will NOW appreciate now that BOM is out is the fact the clothes have come with a system alpha all along
Do I regret throwing away all my system layers two years ago? Yes, a tad. Do I think I was wrong at the time to do so? NO, because dear gods, they dragged their feet on Baked-on-Mesh. I was beyond tired of waiting, and ditching my system layers saved me over 30,000 in inventory. THAT I do not regret at all.
[13:05] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: now they'll be included in the fitmesh clothes
[13:06] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: And I learned about alphaing but this is putting a terrible taste in my mouth about what I just read. You all might be one way in chat but crtainly show that you can not take criticism. I have all body types too and I am now the one with my issues of tearing not knowing how to alpha maitreya. I know what a hud is.
My dude, I get--sort of--where you're coming from, but be realistic. There are manuals included with every body. If you don't get that, there are support groups for every body. Not knowing about a body you bought yesterday? Understandable. Not knowing about a body you bought MONTHS AGO? Not as excusable.
[13:06] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: This is a shame
[13:07] Pxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Be sure to ban me too. You all are total C***S.
WHOA whoa whoa whoa. That is absolutely uncalled for, you absolute unseasoned chicken wing. Shape up and be polite.
[13:07] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: alpha maitreya?
[13:07] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: go to the alpha tab and turn off the parts that poke through - it's that easy
[13:07] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: yikes calm down
Exactly.
[13:07] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: your wish is my command
[13:08] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: ~winces~
[13:08] Dxxxx Bxxxxxxxx: wow, full moon lasts a long time around SL @.@
I know!

Pulled his profile after this, and he has no SL pic, no FL pic, only one pick--for a park sim, it looks like--and this is his total SL bio:
Are you a drama queen [bullsh*tter]? Keep it out of my windows. Other than that I will be happy to chat and also like to make friends. Easy going and coming back to SL from OS.
Right. Waste of oxygen, then, considering what he said. You won't make friends that way.
[13:08] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: hehe
[13:09] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: it had already left the group, banning not needed
And that's another mistake--he is a he, not an it, to say otherwise is just demeaning to both of you.
[13:09] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I look forward to wearing alphas again. All too often the clothes would not match the alpha cuts because they differ from one body to another
I don't.
[13:09] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: lol.........well, to be fair I had warned him in IM so I think he was just seeing how far he could go
[13:09] Dxxxx Dxxxxx: now he knows
[13:10] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: several times
So that outburst was with warning. What a consummate jerk.
[13:10] Wxxxx Mxxxxxx: You guys are sooo helpful in here. No need to act like that.
[13:10] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Anywho
[13:10] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: anway, [MX] made the call
[13:10] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: Ty [Wxxxx]
[13:10] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Some come in with guns drawn
[13:10] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: your nicer than me.. i'd of just made it so they cant talk in chat and make em watch
[13:11] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx draws a picture of a gun and hands it to [rxx] giggling.
[13:11] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: :D TY [Lxxx]
[13:11] Wxxxx Mxxxxxx: It's true I have in the past send [Exxxxxx] a notecard and I know how busy you guys are. Never expected a reply in 2 days but there it was.
[13:12] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: we are here to help, to offer advice, to inform
[13:12] pxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx runs in with her guns drawn "what'd i miss?"
[13:12] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: That we are all Smart alecs?
[13:13] Wxxxx Mxxxxxx: Well it was an eye opening statement they made. @@
[13:13] Cxxxxxx Pxxxx: it's never wise to complain in chat about things we cannot change
[13:14] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and then blame the mods for not being able to change it
[13:14] Txxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: Yes, loved being told I was useless.
[13:15] lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx bites her tongue so she doesn't get in trouble.
[13:15] Sxxxxxx Dxxxxx: yep.. i'm from that generation
[13:15] pxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: everyone's useless in some respects
True, but we can always strive to improve.

Anyway, that was the whole of it. One person banned for not getting the point, the other person banned for being insulting and objectionable. All in a day's work? I guess.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...