18 September, 2019

oh, and honestly, it's the price of the prodigy you wanna be

So, this is an odd story. Of course it's more video game controversy, because what else happens in the gaming scene these days?

The main complaints seem to be first, not game-centered, but game-dev-centered (as is also so much these days) as evidenced here. Thing is, though, I don't think even I, who've worked with RL transitioning folks, would immediately seize the pitchforks and torches. Are they making offensive comments? Sure. Are they transphobic? Not as such, I think they're just stupid and lack understanding. Understanding can be gained; true hatred takes longer to ditch.

And the Steam discussion thread wherein things got worse (word of warning for anyone who wants to dive in, it's messy, overthreaded and requires a lot of scrolling back and forth) again strikes me as less acute transphobia, and more just idiots saying dumb things.

But even that's not the real problem. The abrupt turnaround was, wherein they went from a somewhat misguided, but seemingly sincere apology for their actions, to an outright rejection of said apology, to the general wording of "Yeah, we're not those things you've been calling us, and we pride diversity and representation in all our games, but we're not 'censoring' this one because of some easily offended types because gay slurs are a part of the fabric of this game". Basically.

Are they being stupid? Absolutely. Should they be supported? Well, I wouldn't, but beyond occasional plays of DOOM and other early FPS-style games, it's never been my thing, so...I'm pretty much uninvested. They want to use gay slurs, well, that's up to them; I don't think it's wise, with as diverse as the gaming population is, but that's absolutely their call. They have the right to be idiots. Other games have been as well.

My concern is with the abrupt switch in mood. Someone wants to apologize, great. Someone wants to say they're not apologizing for whatever, great. But HOLD TO THAT. Don't start on one track then jump the entire train to a ferry. It doesn't work, people get hurt, and ultimately, the game company loses sales. And that's really the bottom line.

At any rate, we're up to DarkDharma's Haunted Skull Caverns. I may have covered this before, or simply another DarkDharma haunt, but this one's description states
/*Windlight Sky: "greyskymoon"*/ At the Haunted Skull Caverns, fang-like stalagmites and stalactites set the tone for what is to come.Your hair stands on end as the eerie howling wind & screeching bats beckon you to venture forth and discover secrets within.
Okay. Let's go.



[13:36] ^v^: Coldness surrounds you....dread overtakes you....your hair stands on end as you inch into the darkness. Be sure music is OFF and sounds are ON as you venture within.....the creatures await...watch your step!

I see. Okay.

Actually, so far, all I see are bats.



Strike that--also one very irked spider.



Ow. Okay, tip for the arachnophobes: do NOT turn left on entering the caverns; you will find the spider cave. They bite.



Turning right is no great shakes, either--the bats are very territorial, and there are...things..further down. (Seriously, I wish I could tell you--I never made out what they were because they never rezzed in in ten minutes of being pushed around that section by big formless shapes. All I got was--just big, sections of big, one yellow big thing, one red.)



Undead, huh? I guess I've come this far...



And...oh...That's it? Maybe there's more through the spider chamber. But I didn't check.

Recommendations? Well, if you're okay with push effects, I guess it's fine. I've never been crazy about them, but that's me. No real storyline, just things in a cave. The transitional points are nicely done--walk into shadow, gradual darkness, gradual light--it gives that sense of sinking deeper underground. So...not awfully terrible? But...not amazingly awesome, either.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...