18 March, 2021

for all of us who've seen the light, salute the dead and lead the fight (part I)

The pictures I got, not all of them came out, sadly, but I picked the best ones of the lot. This was the Aether Salon for dieselpunk, held at the Academy of Industry in New Babbage.

diesel-salon1
(Edward Pearse, Duke of Primbroke, presenting the discussion.)

This is also one of the few events I'll cover where I leave names intact.
[14:03] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): hiya ceejay. is this in voice? not hearing...
[14:03] Edward Pearse: Nope text.
[14:03] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Nein, not Voice.
[14:03] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): oakily doakily then
[14:03] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): It has been on rare occasions, but they are announced in advance.
[14:03] Ceejay Writer: Local Chat
[14:03] Edward Pearse: Just giving it a couple of minutes for the late arrivals
diesel-salon2
(A shot of the crowd to start.)
[14:03] Bixyl Shuftan: It's in chat
[14:04] Jimmy Branagh: This is also a test of speed typing ability
[14:04] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Herr Baroque! It has been too long.
[14:04] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr) grins
[14:04] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance):
sehr gut
[14:04] Polly (polly.ellsmere): interesting phenomenon: clouds opening doors
[14:04] Edward Pearse: Yeah I cheated and lots of this I've written down already :-)
[14:04] Cassie Eldemar (cashew.writer): smiles
[14:05] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): That will make it easier for Fraulein Ceejay.
[14:05] Ceejay Writer: That's CHEATING? *eyedarts*
[14:05] Jimmy Branagh: ((I have everything written for mine ahead except for witty badinage. Cut-paste king.))
[14:05] Edward Pearse: Okie dokie, I think we can start
[14:06] Ceejay Writer: ((Ditto, Jimmy.))
diesel-salon3
(A definition of dieselpunk.)
[14:06] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): Fire when ready, Duke!
[14:06] Jimmy Branagh: ((I would goo crazy otherwise))
[14:06] Edward Pearse: My name is Edward Pearse.
[14:06] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): Wait, you mean not everyone writes it in advance?
[14:06] Edward Pearse: Hi!
[14:06] Ceejay Writer: Apparently we ALL do!
diesel-salon4
(A diesel deco train, and a poster from Seraph City.)
[14:06] Edward Pearse: Most of you in New Babbage are familiar with me
[14:06] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): I should hope you do.
[14:06] Edward Pearse: For those not, I'm one of founders of New Babbage and a long time fan of Steampunk.
[14:07] Edward Pearse: I got interested in dieselpunk through the old sim of Seraph City.
[14:07] Ceejay Writer: You found it? Was it lost?
[14:07] Edward Pearse: Exhibit A
[14:07] Breezy Carver: smiles
[14:07] Edward Pearse: I wasn't part of the founding group but discovered the sim through mutual friends
diesel-salon5
(Hindenberg's flight.)
[14:07] Edward Pearse: I created a nightclub there called Seraph Club.
[14:07] Darlingmonster Ember: woot
[14:08] Edward Pearse: While Seraph City has long gone, the Seraph Club still lives on, now in its new home of Cassandra City.
[14:08] Polly (polly.ellsmere): the Roving Seraph Club
[14:08] Jimmy Branagh: Oy just missed being a founder. I'm a fumbler Oy guess.
[14:08] Baron Klaus Wulfenbach (klauswulfenbach.outlander): Quite charming.
[14:08] Poison (marylucretia): here here
[14:08] Edward Pearse: I will apologise in advance if this runs a little short.
[14:08] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): A luvvily venue.
[14:08] Edward Pearse: I volunteered as a last minute thing so I haven't had time to check the run on this.
That was entirely my fault, by the way. I had been tasked with finding a dieselpunk speaker, and I contacted six or seven people, all of which turned me down, never once thinking of Edward, and I REALLY should have. Thankfully, he agreed.
diesel-salon6
(Cover for Children of the Sun.)
[14:08] Ceejay Writer: More time for drinks after - no worries!
[14:09] Darlingmonster Ember adjusts her little shorts
[14:09] Edward Pearse: Dieselpunk is really an aesthetic rather than a genre.
[14:09] Nyx Malaspina whispers: lms and schedule provided in some handy notecard. :)
[14:09] Edward Pearse: As such there will be a lot of imagery in this presentation
[14:09] Edward Pearse: This of course leads to a lot of opinion over what is and isn't dieselpunk.
[14:09] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): Huzzah!
[14:09] Nyx Malaspina: claps hands...like pictures.
diesel-salon7
(A selection of artists' renditions of dieselpunk cities.)
[14:09] Edward Pearse: What I present today is mostly my own opinion but other schools of thought will be touched on here and there.
[14:10] Edward Pearse: Dieselpunk the term, first came to use through an RPG called Children of the Sun, published in 2002.
[14:11] Edward Pearse: It was never a big hit. I've never played it but the reviews I've read are "neutral"
[14:11] Edward Pearse: Interestingly the world of Children of the Sun is somewhat different from what we think of when dieselpunk is used today.
[14:11] Edward Pearse: It was very much an urban fantasy style setting.
[14:12] Edward Pearse: It had magic, a variety of races and an assortment of critters, littered amongst the skyscrapers.
[14:12] Rory Torrance (rory.torrance): And an interesting font, at least.
[14:12] Edward Pearse: I saw one description of it as D and D meets Saving Private Ryan
[14:13] Edward Pearse: Similar to the transformation that steampunk undertook, dieselpunk too has expanded beyond a D and D campaign with a fantasy WW2 setting.
[14:13] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): Interesting
[14:13] Edward Pearse: Also similar to steampunk, it's about the set dressing rather than the story itself.
(Continued in part two.)

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...