14 September, 2018

tearing through each doubt and sin, the train was an iron wind

Welcome to the Universal Temple and Haunted Catacombs. It's apparently a ride?



And it killed me right off. Great.



So, it is literally a log ride--like, an old-school, prims-only, log ride, running water and all. The vintage aesthetic is key, yo.



Full-bright zombie thing, flat prim, mounted on the wall--I admit to being somewhat let down, until it screamed "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!". And then...



The Kraken was released! And this is a big, roaring follower--not physical, it didn't knock me out of the log, but it followed me through at least two rooms and one tunnel passageway with reverberating roars and tentacle attacks. I don't do mouselook well, and the ride advises you press to start then hit mouselook, so I'm not seeing what people in mouselook probably see. It was unnerving enough in regular vision!



Most of the rooms have a similar feel--turn around a corner, the log bumping gently against the walls, then proceed into a long corridor of water, with effects and monsters on either side of the channel.



Yeah, so...arachnophobes, be on notice: there are two big spider moments. This is one; there's another.



And then I was lit on fire.



And then there were snakes!

I'm leaving some things out, mainly because it's actually a really fun ride that I highly encourage any lover of haunts to go visit. Yeah, it's definitely just prims, no mesh, it's all old-school, but...it's good old school. And while some of the sound effects loop, not as many of them as I expected loop, and they tend to cut off when the log is past their area of effect. All in all, full marks. The only issue I had is not really knowing (due to not being in mouselook) when the ride ended, but I eventually figured out I had been dumped out of the log, so I hopped up on the walkway and walked back upstairs.
I didn't check out the Universal Temple; I may go back and do that just to see what it is, as well.

Oh, another note, for those interested in holding onto someone while the scary things happen: each log sits two. So bring a friend if you're nervous about riding alone!

No comments:

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...