07 July, 2021

this is not a problem if I don't want it to stop (part CXIII)

(Roleplay entry. Continued from part CXII.)

She walked in through the open door of the clinic, seeing the medic at his desk. He sighed, seeming discouraged for a moment, and she stepped closer. He heard the bells and turned.

"Oh! Hi, Duchess! Sorry, I didn't see you arrive."

She smiled. "Hey, Zack--you said you examined Justine? She didn't get hurt again, did she?"

He shook his head. "No, I assure you, she did not...get injured..." He stood, rubbing the back of his neck. "As for if she's fine, well...it depends...I do not have very good news. And...that's something I think I must discuss with you."

She arched an eyebrow. "Well, that sounds dire."

"You've noticed those...strange tattoos she has on her body, right?"

She nodded. "I have, yes."

"I was called to examine her, and asked Deebs for help. They...react to arcanic energy...badly...and by badly, I mean...bad...kind of badly..."

She thought back. "She mentioned something when she was setting up the quantum net for the Duke's personality transfer, her tattoo--'heating up'?"

He took a deep breath. "Something from another plan has marked her...probably something coming from one of the dimensional rifts here on Gearhaven...That mark is like a location marker. It may pull something from...we don't know where...just to get to her."

She blinked. "Wait. A beacon mark?"

"Deebs and I, we managed to seal it...temporarily...but it will need to be removed. I was currently studying a ritual that I know can do that but..."

"Who...do we know how she got that tattoo? Who did it?"

He shook his head. "I am not sure, myself. We weren't able to know who or what did that to her."

She thought, brow furrowing. "Is it any arcane energies, or specific types?"

"It...reacted to my energy...I did a test..."

She tilted her head, tail twitching.

"And I am not the one who placed this mark, so whatever did, probably knows how to use magic."

"Without a doubt. But--she hasn't reacted to you in the past, right?"

"Not that I know of..." He thought. "Or, she was hiding it, last time I was casting in front of her..."

"So, either...something has activated the mark, or...something in your energy signature has changed, and I don't think the latter is likely." She shrugged. "Though anything's possible."

"I used Gearhaven's magic energy to do so, as it's easier to recharge my crystals here...so, I'm not sure if she reacts to here, or..."

She stared at him, eyes slowly widening. "Oh, if she's reacting to Gearhaven's energy, that's going to be really bad...I know the Duke's planning more excavation of aetherium ore, and that's going to spike some of the ambient energy across the land."

He reached out, grabbing her hand. "You have to prevent Justine from being here until we manage to remove this mark from her! I will work on that ritual...it will be...extremely painful, but...necessary."

She watched the grim set of his features. "Do you think Tannhauser Gate Station is far enough away?"

"I don't, Duchess. The magical energy of Gearhaven seems to be...all around us...When I feel it, there's not a specific concentration that I found."

She sighed. "I'll talk to her."

"Duchess..."

She looked up again.

"I promise you, I will do everything in my power to remove that mark, even if it means to almost die from overcast...I will not let this happen."

She put her free hand on his arm. "Zack, no. Some risk, absolutely, the rituals can take a toll, but...please, don't risk yourself to that extent. We can find another way."

"Every magic comes with a price. I say there is a RISK that it happens...but if I am strong-willed, and keep meditating, and prepare carefully...I should survive, and Justine will probably have that mark removed."

The Duchess was worried, she knew enough for it to show on her face. He patted her hand.

"When I did the ritual to scry through the rift in the tower, that was something I'm quite used to doing. The ritual to remove Justine's maker is a ritual of abjuration...a school of magic I learned to do when I was still an apprentice."

She nodded.

"Hopefully...it will work...if old school magic cannot remove this mark...I don't know what can..."

She looked down, thinking.

"There are a couple other options," she said slowly, then looked up, meeting his eyes. "But then, you'd likely have the talk with me about not taking insane risks."

"Yes, Duchess. Of course, you have the final say. I will not do anything without your green light, I promise."

"Do keep me updated."

He nodded. "I will let you talk to Justine, though I must warn you, the seal we put on the mark to prevent the...thing...getting to her will not hold forever."

"No, such seals rarely do."

He took her head in his hands, staring at her sadly. "Believe...I will do all I can to help Justine..."

"I know you will, Zack. We both want her protected...As much as she'll allow, at any rate."

He nodded, dropping his hands. "That was--all I needed to report. I know it's not happy news, but..."

"No, it helps. There's been so much happening, I never asked her more about what had happened with the quantum establishing, so...it's good to follow up."

He nodded, smiling at her, and returned to the papers spread over his desk. "Always a pleasure."

She nodded, and left, worrying at a claw. Wondering how she was going to tell Justine...wondering what she was going to tell Justine.

(Continued in part CXIV.)

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...