03 June, 2019

there is nothing left to hold me

Cue aggrieved sigh. You know, if people would just make ads entertaining, or relevant, or at the least SHORT,...we wouldn't have these problems.

In other controversies...
[22:42] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: Hey you basics, good news for you, you all will keep your 42 groupslots, just read a LL Blogpost
[22:43] Uxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: whaaattt?
[22:43] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: Will premium get more slots?
[22:44] Txxxx Jxxxxx: yes
[22:44] Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Premium gets 70.
I won't lie, this is the first I'd heard of this. I went digging for more information, and found this. So apparently, at some point, Linden Lab rolled back slots for basic, and there was mass protest? So they caved and kept them at 42? I mean, yay for protests working, but I don't understand.
[22:44] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: true they heard too many complain, basic player get back 42 and premium still get the 70
And that's another point of confusion. When last heard, the reason the Lindens didn't grant more group slots was because of their coding, which they are wholly unwilling to change--namely, that when any avatar logs into the grid, that avatar is 'checked' to verify things. In specific, every single calling card they carry are pinged to verify it's still from an active account, and every group that avatar is in in pinged to ensure that they are still active groups. This can case tremendous local lag depending on how busy the sim is the avatar rezzes into, up to and including that avatar crashing due to this group- and calling-card-checking.

So why increase the group slot limit? Won't that increase the amount of verification the system does for everyone who logs in, thus causing more crashes? How is this good for anyone?
[22:44] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: woooooo
[22:44] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: yes premium still get more slots but basic member will not get taken away their slots :)
[22:44] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: good news for everyone
[22:44] kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the way I read it it goes to 35, but you don;t get kicked out if you are already over. What it means if if you are at 42 and want to join something you must first leave 8 groups o go down to 34, then you can finally add the new one
This is Ms. M responding to the earlier, pre-edited article, where the Lab was dropping basic members' group slots to 35, over 42.
[22:44] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh thank you Jesus! seriously I didnt know what I was going to do
[22:45] sxxx Jxxxxx: so premium will increse in price to join
Yeah, that one's really worrying me.
[22:45] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: They changed it, kaylee
[22:45] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: [kxxxxx], they changed today
[22:46] kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh good
[22:46] kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I wonder how many people complained
Probably a lot? And it was complaints the Lab actually responded to, which is unusual.
[22:46] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: basic members groups go down to 35. You keep your 42, but if you drop one, you can't join another. You will have to drop all the way down to 34 before you can join one
[22:46] Kxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: 38 pages plus on the forum
I bet. I still haven't decided if I'm going to go through the comments on that post; it sounds like Zindra-protests levels of work and editing, frankly.
[22:46] txxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I have the update link if anyone wants it
[22:46] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: I don't see the increase yet.
[22:46] Uxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I do
[22:46] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Not til June 3
Which means it goes into effect today; this conversation happened yesterday.
[22:47] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: many ...many premium members stood by the basic players and told linden lab to give it back to them
[22:47] Sxxxxxxxxx Dxxxxxxxxx: I don't either [Exxx]
[22:47] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: oh
[22:47] txxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: June 3 is when they start
[22:47] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yay!!! because we make money here and spend it here too!
[22:47] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yep
[22:47] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh am i not up to date? basic still dropping to 35?
[22:48] txxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: they cancelled that change
[22:48] Txxxx Jxxxxx: I think the people MOST impacted were store owners who realized they were about to have customers quitting their groups.
Probably. But also, if Ms. V is correct about groups of premium users pushing for 42 groups being standard for basic users, that also could have had an effect.
[22:48] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol so basic gets what they were losing back and premium gets nothing more than the 10 that's good but LOL - I'm very very glad but WOW really giving no incentive either with that 27 dollar hike
[22:48] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: noo you will keep your 42
[22:48] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I'm very glad though it was dumb
[22:48] txxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the Basic free membership groups are staying the same
[22:48] Xxxxxx Lxxxxxx: wait..basic stays at 42?
[22:49] Txxxx Jxxxxx: if I were a store owner and I relied on keeping my group members happy... I'd have been [censored] at LL for doing this.
[22:49] sxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: whoo, hoo! the plebicite wins one! lol
[22:49] Xxxxxx Lxxxxxx: LL actually *listened*?
Yeah, I was surprised too.
[22:49] Kxxxxx Lxxxxxx: I would like the link too, please
[22:49] Txxxx Jxxxxx: is there a mod here who can post the link for everybody?
[22:49] sxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I think maybe their eears were BURNING!
[22:50] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol
[22:50] sxxx Jxxxxx: I was thinking of going to premium, will the cost still increase
Yeah, and that's still worrying me. Under the chart given on the earlier link, monthly membership cost $9.50 (US) a month, and that's going up to $11.99 (US) past June 3rd. Quarterly, which is where I'm at, was $22.50 (US) billed every three months, and will raise to $32.97 (US) billed every three months. And yearly premium membership was at $72 (US) billed once a year, and will raise to $99 (US) billed once a year.

And for yearly users, it's a change of $27.00 (US), which is again not a savings, in any way. This seems less like cost-of-operations price raising, and more just straight-up pricejacking.
[22:50] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: This is great. I've had to shuffle my 60 around. There are some of my groups that I had to pay huge to get in.
[22:50] Xxxxxx Lxxxxxx: they should have fallen off the second they thought of that
[22:50] Xxxxxx Lxxxxxx: such an obviously shot in the foot..only a moron could think that was good idea
[22:50] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yes suzy
[22:51] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: still a shot in the foot....not exactly giving premium any reason to stick around if they were on the fence
[22:51] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I'm premium member my fee is going up to $11.00
$11.99, but yes.
[22:51] nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: offer a minus then keep it status quo good sales technique to keep them expecting more
[22:51] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: they said something about a better premium - idk maybe just make that the normal one
[22:51] sxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: so many pppl around the world, USA too that depend on those GGs to increase their inventory. we Basics send many thanks to u premiums who stodd by us!!!
[22:52] Xxxxxx Lxxxxxx: just checked the blog...yes, basic stays unchanged
[22:52] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I'm so glad they just dropped the dumbest part about this all though GOD
Which part?
[22:52] sxxx Jxxxxx: ok ty [Vxxxxx] really not worth it for me so awesome that basic stays the same yay
[22:52] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: thank you ...I voiced mine allowed and clear
[22:52] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yes, thank you premium members for the support
[22:52] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: loud
[22:53] Txxxx Jxxxxx: the offline message limit is still going to be trimmed for basic members. Course I solved that issue ages ago by just staying logged in 24/7.. :)
This is another problem. And this one I haven't been able to track down--the rumor goes (and I've heard it so many places I have to think they're getting it from SOMEwhere) that offline IMs will be cut down. To what, and whether that's a change for basic, or premium too, I can't find. But considering I'm not the only one that relies on offline messages, how is this going to affect estate owners, club owners, designers and makers with active stores? How is this a good idea?
[22:53] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: I was basic until last year I can remember very well when we were fighting for 42 slots... So why take it away again.
[22:53] Txxxx Jxxxxx: I remember how wonderful it was when the limit was raised to 25...
[22:53] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol me too
[22:53] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: how dumb...and yes the 42 slots is rough the idea that the limitation is just arbitrarily there and held over peoples head for so much money is really dumb
[22:54] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I wish I could [Txxxx], I play on my laptop and am dependent on wifi
[22:54] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh that post says june 24 not june 3. so we gotta wait til june 24 before we get more groups at premium members.

Well, wait, does that mean the price changes go into effect on the 3rd, with the group extension for premium members going into effect on the 24th, or that pricing changes and group slot changes go into effect on the 24th? I'm confused again.
[22:54] Exxx Hxxxxxxxxx: I'm paying $22.50 per quarter. I'm guessing it will go to $24.00
You'd be wrong. It's going to $32.97 (US).
[22:54] Txxxx Jxxxxx: the limit is not arbitrary, there is significant load on the comm servers for each group someone is in. Because it has to continually "poll" each group ou're in for new messages
Right, but why increase it then? Has their architecture substantially changed? Is that why the price hike, they're trying to pay for tons of new equipment?
[22:54] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: game might be more social and players might do better meeting others or selling which would keep things active and alive if you didn't have ot constant shuffle these few groups
Eh, a lot of us aren't social in many of our groups anyway, even the ones we've been in from go.
[22:54] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and my bill date is the 25th. hah
[22:54] Kxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: they are taken quarterly payments away
No, but I don't have official verification for this? But friends have told me that those with quarterly premium memberships will retain them, just at the new rate. It's new accounts that will be hit with the monthly or yearly membership only options. And again, why? Why remove the mid-range premium? More people are going to be comfortable paying that than will be comfortable paying month by month, or yearly.
[22:55] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: it said if you are already quarter you can keep it
[22:55] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: but can't get it if you aren't already
[22:55] Kxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: only for that one year
[22:55] Dxxxxxxx Sxxxxxxx: quarterly went up to 32.97
[22:55] Kxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxx: least thats how I read it could be wrong
No, you're right.
[22:55] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: it's closer to that than 24
[22:56] Txxxx Jxxxxx: I'm annoyed I have to wait until next month before I can pay my yearly fee early
[22:56] lxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: if you have quarterly now, you keep it at the new price of $33. but no new quarterly plans will be issued
[22:57] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yeah I am on quarter at as well - when that drops off idk it'll be rough
Now, that's something I hadn't heard. If it drops off, I'm going to have to seriously consider whether I want premium, because for right now, the only reason I'm premium is a) group slots and b) buying land on auction. I don't use the Linden sandboxen, I gave up my Linden home because I never used it (and also so I can, if I ever find one, buy a 1024 parcel for gratis because I no longer have the Linden home granted). If I don't end up finding land I might just give up being premium if they're going to gank the quarterly payments for existing quarterly users anyway.
[22:57] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: not really giving me a reason to want to stay even if I need stuff like the IM's and groups - I can just rent land instead it's hard enough to get as prem and not exactly a LOT of land
Exactly.
[22:58] Dxxxxxxx Sxxxxxxx: if ur quarterly u get to keep it. only if ur new quarterly is not an option
[22:58] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: someone said it was only for a year or was that wrong?
[22:59] Dxxxxxxx Sxxxxxxx: New premimum members have to chose either monthly or yearly as I understand it
[22:59] Uxxxx Sxxxxxxxx: I Think it's really depending on individual in that case. For me more prims + building a skybox now over my linden home (which was not allowed before) is ok.
[23:00] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the linden home isn't really anything I can't get just renting....for a lot cheaper
[23:00] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the size prim wise is pretty tiny too and you can't just easily get said linden home is the other prob...
Ah, but you can get rid of it easily. Which then puts members in line for auctioned 1024s they don't have to pay tier on.

There was some chatter about future sales, then...
[23:10] Gxxxxx Pxxxxxxxx: So regarding earlier discussion of the new fees. It says you can pay one last year on the old rate. I think I am going to call and see if I can do that.
[23:10] Gxxxxx Pxxxxxxxx: I just paid my normal premium two weeks ago so I wouldn't have my tier go up until May 2021
[23:11] Txxxx Jxxxxx: you'll be able to do it on their payment website starting june 3rd
[23:11] Txxxx Jxxxxx: I'm annoyed I couldn't do it before the end of june, now I have to put the charge on next month's business
[23:12] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I pay monthly, I think, I get one month at old rate
[23:12] Txxxx Jxxxxx: er, I mean I'm annoyed I coudnt do it before the beginning of june
[23:13] Gxxxxx Pxxxxxxxx: Hm I thought I read you could call and arrange to get one last year at the old rate?
So which is it, you have to call and talk to a Linden directly, or it just goes into effect for one last month?
[23:13] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: [Txxxx] do you pay for the whole year?
[23:13] Txxxx Jxxxxx: yes
[23:13] Txxxx Jxxxxx: my usual billing month is august
[23:14] Txxxx Jxxxxx: but they're letting people pay for their next year (or other period) early
[23:14] Vxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I thought you had up to June 24th to get the old rate for a year
[23:14] Txxxx Jxxxxx: but not quite early enough for my tastes, cause of the way my credit card reward system is structured
[23:14] mxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: sigh - I might do that but really really inconvenient and do you seriously only have a few days?
I missed the rest of the conversation, as I had to log out to help people in RL, but...sounds like a lot is still up in the air. So if anyone has more information, do let me know?

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...