27 October, 2018

it pierces me slowly, pulling me through

Have I been to Slaughter Creek before? Name sounds familiar. Their blurb, not so much:
"Based on a Real Life Haunted House ...

Land"
Huh. Okay, guess I can check it out.



So, between going through and putting this up, turns out that yes, I have been here before. And the last time, three years back, it was horrifically laggy with a separate HUD for 'special effects'. This time around, they've improved vastly--no HUD, no lag-drenched landscape, so...that's good, I guess?

You'll start things off in a separate skybox that's effectively, if neutrally, decorated--fall trees, abandoned birdcages, a pentagram made of round white stones. Not terrible.



I already do, what's your point?



So the main house is...odd. There is enough lag present that every door I clicked would start the creaky, door-opening sound effect, and I was able to walk through the--to me--closed door, and about ten seconds after, the door would open soundlessly behind me. Kind of freaky, but unintentionally so, it was just a factor of minor lag.

On the plus side, this I thought was effective. No specific sounds associated, just the implication that something large and mostly unseen was going to crawl into the room. Nicely atmospheric.



This is from the second house, where there is another corpse with full-on male nudity, that reminded me this is on Adult land. I deliberatley did not raise the gamma on this, because it's just out of nowhere--after a mostly eerie landscape and a fairly effective first floor of the main house (I never found the way to the second floor, if there is one), this cabin seems a total 180 degrees in terms of tone.



Another out-of-nowhere moment: cute cat, yay, cute little coffin-shaped house, yay, bloodspatter vendor out of nowhere. Bwuh?



But hey, there's always time for cuddles.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...