03 September, 2010

give me just one inch, I swear that's all I'll need

[15:56] Serenity Semple: Hey Emi. Ya probably know but thought ya'd find this amusing. XD It never ends
[15:56] Emilly Orr: HEE
[15:58] Emilly Orr: So Emerald becomes Emergence becomes New Phoenix
[15:58] Serenity Semple: Seems so

Yep. Here's the official notecard:

From the ashes... the Phoenix has risen.

My name is Jessica Lyon. My goal during my time with the Emerald Project, was always to give the users what they want. That goal has never and will never change. I'm very happy to announce, it continues...

A few days ago, I assembled a team of developers to work on a new viewer. Some who were originally Emerald developers, some who were not. All are respected reputable residents in the SecondLife Community. The goal was simple, to provide users with what they want and do it transparently.

I'm am very proud to announce the launch of the Phoenix Viewer. This project, has started off simple, with it's initial release of a safe clone of the Emerald viewer. Users want Emerald features, you shall have them. We have big plans to expand to the Snowstorm project as well. We have already applied for the TPVD, to which we have no doubt we will be accepted in a timely fashion. We have already started making in world groups for support, (Phoenix Viewer Support), beta testing etc. There is much more to do... however...

This Viewer is ready for use by you, right now!

For this project, I insist on, and everyone on this team insists on 100% public transparency in EVERYTHING we do. We have already established a public IRC Dev chat, public repo and are working on much much more.

Our developers are; (in alphabetical order), Dakun Flux, Dimentox Travanti, Jessica Lyon, Kitty Barnett, LordGregGreg Back, Techwolf Lupindo, Tonya Souther, Vortex Saito, Wickman Gibbs, with more to come.

Our Lead Developers are: Dimentox Travanti, LordGregGreg Back, Techwolf Lupindo, Tonya Souther.

Ed Merryman will be leading our support team: Aleia Sapphire, bee Baroque, Damian Zhaoying, Ed Merryman, Marybeth Oceanlane, Mindy Spiritor, Nisa Maverick, PixelProphet Lane, Toy LaFollette, Vortex Saito, Whirly Fizzle, Wolfspirit Magic.

Our website is still in progress, however we have up the required links. http://phoenixviewer.com .

More information here http://www.phoenixviewer.com:3000/projects/phoenixviewer/wiki
Downloads. http://www.phoenixviewer.com:3000/projects/phoenixviewer/wiki/Betadownloads .
Public repo http://www.phoenixviewer.com:3000/projects/phoenixviewer/repository

I am very pleased and excited about this project, and I hope that you will be too.

Sincerely,
Jessica Lyon and the Phoenix Viewer Development Team.

My personal blog: http://jessicalyons.wordpress.com

That's exactly as I received it. So far, I am extending tenuous trust to Miss Lyon, because she at least posted what is believed to be accurate emails from Oz Linden on her blog. (I say believe to be because I don't have date-stamped, time-stamped, et cetera, ad nauseum...but I do believe word would filter back to the Labs if they were forgeries and the Labs would publically say it wasn't them. So.)

Will it soar? Will it be consumed by its own internal fires? Too soon to tell. But people are reporting back that it functions much the same as--some are saying exactly the same as--Emerald.

Me, I'm in the wait and see camp. But it might be a good thing.

3 comments:

Aunt Foggy said...

So here is my question: as a "user" with a very rudimentary understanding of all the technical details, I understand that a whole lot of user's login information - including passwords - was sent out to servers belonging to Modular Systems. I assume this information was stored. Now, like many I had the good sense to change my password as soon as the shit hit the proverbial fan, but I know lots of other folks did not.
Is it the case that we have a whole bunch of disgruntled black hats out there with a LOT of login information for folks on the grid?
I am curious why I am not seeing this mentioned? Or do I have it wrong?

Serenity Semple said...

*Just sits back with some popcorn, offering to share with Emi while she waits for the drama to fly*

Emilly Orr said...

*giggles and nibbles popcorn*

In all seriousness, what I've been able to find out (from mostly reliable sources) is that what was encoded was avatar name + IP address. Now, is that enough to extract RL location and a color picture of your house on Google Maps? Likely not. But do we know how that information will be used? We do not.

Beyond that, no one is speaking much on the topic, including the Lindens.

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...