28 February, 2019

here in the half-light, the motorhomes leave

This person does not exist. This is why. This is how you can help train the AI to create these images.

I find this both compelling and creepy. Compelling in that it's phenomenal we've come this far already in training artificial intelligences both to recognize what makes up a recognizable image of a human being, and allowing us as individual existing humans to help the machine learn. Creepy in that the first thing that crossed my mind was nefarious repurposing: how many of these images of nonexistent people are going to start showing up on Facebook profiles, Tindr and Grindr profiles, or used to 'catfish' other humans for emotional or financial grift reasons?

I've said this for a few years now, but this reinforces it: we now live in a time where we can no longer trust images, moving or still, to be true simply because we see them. This is further proof of that truth.

In other news, this wasn't surprising in the least. In fact, the only surprise I felt reading that article was that 25% of the grid being geared to adults strikes me as a tad low, and I thought it was higher. Also, the comments section for that post immediately went off the rails. I'm fairly sure I'm done commenting--I think I made my point, even if that point was instantly misunderstood--but I do find it interesting that the automatic first conclusion as to the ratio of sex/extreme content sims to non-sex/extreme content sims was 'dem filthy liberals'.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...