25 September, 2018

the ducks and geese in flight, the silence in between

This one may get heavy.
[14:40] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: hi could i please get the clue for EC Desgns please
So, this is our protagonist. Miss C is new, and also, either has English for a second language, or just can't type. I pick apart typos as much as anyone, but that's not the point. Just keep her in mind: all she's doing here is asking a question that is perfectly allowed in this group, and, in fact, is 80% of why this group exists.
[14:41] Rxx Axxxxx: 26 - =EC Designs= - "How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget, you don't expect an easy answer "
[14:41] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: ok
[14:41] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: thank u
[14:41] Rxx Axxxxx: yw
Okay, some clues are obscure. I don't know the layout of EC Designs offhand, but even if I did, it wouldn't really convince me that it was an excellent clue as stated. And I don't know about Miss C, but generally, I only ask for a clue if I absolutely cannot find it on my own.
[14:43] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: not the besat clue by far lol
"Best", but this was the line that started things. Only one typo so far from her. Just to note.
[14:46] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: So sorry, next time I'll try to have a more besat clue, just for you.
[14:47] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: Please, I love when things are besat
[14:47] mxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: how does one besat things?
Yeah, okay, it was a typo. Yes, we've all played with typos before. But maybe it's having had a bad conversation in Twisted yesterday, but this struck me as not gentle teasing, but cruel taunting. This is not what I want out of a hunt group that's supposed to help players get through the hunt.
[14:48] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: no not at all i just mean it is hard is all lol it is a good clue
Here, Miss C is trying to make it better, explain further, emphatically trying not to make it worse. To 'lighten the mood', one might ven say.
[14:49] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: It's what happens when you've besit something before
[14:49] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: wow one spelling mistake and every one is taking the piss
Now it's starting to get to her. Not unreasonable.
[14:50] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: well I had a lot of water to drink today... it was inevitable
[14:50] Rxx Axxxxx: typos often lead to hilarity around here
[14:50] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: Obviously you don't us very well
And I'm just baffled by what she means. "Know us"? "Trust us"? What "us", Ms. M?
[14:50] mxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: mhmm.
[14:51] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: lol [Cxxx]
[14:51] Rxx Axxxxx: [Txxx] ended up with a nickname from a typo lol
[14:51] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: the challenge is to make fun of your own typo before the others beat you to it.
It astounds me that this needs to be explained, but if you're A) not a great typist anyway and B) potentially not a native English speaker (and even, hey, C) possibly dyslexic, just in case that applies), they're not going to get they've made a typo until they're flooded with humor they don't understand and go back and reread. Kind of like punching kittens--they don't understand it and they won't think it's funny.
[14:51] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: OMG the typo fairy is around today and on the attack!
[14:52] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: didnt realise u had to be perficit im sorry i cant speel that good all good i wont ask for help or say anything in the groups to be made fun of and again i didnt mean it was a bad clue just a very hard clue
[14:52] Cxx Vxxxxxxx: thank u all that has help me
No idea if she's serious about storming off, but I think she's justified in thinking her poor spelling got her mocked rudely, when all she wanted was a clue to a cube she couldn't find.
[14:52] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: no worries [Cxx], typo issues are super common
[14:53] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: Oh geez we knew what you meant, get over yourself
[14:53] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: The clue is actually super easy if you figure out where it comes from.
[14:53] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: and that's all the 'extra' I'm giving on it today.
[14:53] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: there's no reason to be hostile
[14:54] Jxxxxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxxx: *graps popcon
It should be *grabs popcorn*, you managed to get both words wrong in a two-word comment. And look at the immediate snapback--"get over yourself" and "the clue's actually easy" and "there's no reason to be hostile". No reason? There's every reason to be hostile, listen to what you said!
[14:54] Mxxxxxxx Exxxxxxxxx: You're one to talk
[14:56] Rxx Axxxxx: Ok enough If someone is new and not used to this group yes that conversation could have looked like less of the fun it tends to typically be and more of an attack I can see both sides
WELL GOSH THAT'S SO MAGNANIMOUS OF YOU.

Sheesh, now the clue brick drops, when it's been...sixteen solid minutes of mocking one person.
[14:59] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: Just a suggestion.. maaaaybe don't say a hint is crap and then get fussy when people tease in return. I actually work hard to make my hints really relevant and something that if you figure them out, they're a dead giveaway. I could just say "Nope, no hint, good luck". Aaaaand that's my 2cents and I'm done.
Just a suggestion...Maaaaybe don't mock her mercilessly for sixteen minutes next time, just let the hint be given and move on. Or is that too much common sense for you to parse?
[15:01] Rxx Axxxxx: Good point [Ixx], how about the hostility toward new people in the group stop... I didn't run any new person off, I asked a new merchant to follow the rules, they were sent the same fix it note by staff anyone else outside the rules would get... so let us more right the [f*ck] along *smiles sweetly*
[15:02] Jxxxxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxxx: we all have to remember that the people who were twisty years ago are not the same people now.
No, the problem is, some of us who were Twisty from year one are seeing some major changes in the group dynamic. And we're not liking what we're seeing.
[15:02] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx: That's not what I was refering to [Rxx]. a merchant that can't follow the rules can go [f*ck] themselves as far as I'm concerned
Great, Ms. I, but that's not the point. The point is, one person who doesn't spell well asked for one hint. And everyone just had to get the long knives out.
[15:02] Jxxxxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxxx: take a break from SL for like 4 years or so and see how many stores / clubs are poof gone after you return
[15:03] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: Yeah as a merchant who has actually gotten the notes before (and who should have known better, cube out of range, stupid me), I can vouch for the polite form letter that goes to anyone with an issue.
[15:03] Fxxxxxxxx Gxxxxx just logged in but saw on FB what [Ixx] is talking about
I don't have Facebook; if anyone who knows what was said, Twisted-Hunt wise, there, and feels like passing it on, neato, but I have no clue what she's upset over.
[15:03] Jxx Jxxxxxx tosses in two cents just because....
[15:04] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx: Actually you didn't [Pxxxx]. Because I wawsn't talking about htat
"Wasn't", and "that". Just for reference.
[15:04] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx takes [Jxxx]'s 2 cents and gives him a dime back in change.
[15:04] Jxx Jxxxxxx: oooo profit
[15:04] Jxx Jxxxxxx throws two more cents in
[15:04] Fxxxxxxxx Gxxxxx: My bad, it seemed that way. The words I saw would apply to that situation, so that why I thought....
[15:04] Jxx Jxxxxxx: I like how this works
[15:05] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx takes the two cents and gives [Jxxx] a Gibbs Slap
Here's my problem; I have another chunk of text that happened yesterday, and I'm still debating over whether or not I'm going to toss that up at some point. Understand I've been involved in the Twisted hunt since the beginning, I've watched the missteps they've taken, the successes they've had, and outside of a few merchants who never seemed to catch a clue, we've stumbled fairly well together until...about the past four years or so.

I don't know what changed, I really don't. But it's been less fun hunt and more arduous chore ever since.

Last year, the level of platforming involved in the end game, combined with the port-here-port-there-no-port-back-here back and forth nature of the Temple puzzle, I finally reached the point where I just walked away. From the hunt, from Second Life, from the computer, just shaking with hurt and rage and frustration. I told myself I was not going to let this happen again, that that level of stress was--physically, psychologically, medically--not good for me.

Fast forward to this year. I hit end game. There is @#$%^&*+@! platforming, apparently. But before that, there's a hideously designed fire ring puzzle that I kept dying on, and getting sent back to start. And after getting sent back for the fifth time, I realized I was right back there again, shaking, enraged, hurt, frustrated...I don't need this. I most definitely do not need a stroke along with my weird new triple heartbeat. It is not worth it.

Anyway, we pick up a little later:
[15:10] Rxx Axxxx: I will add that i'm not here to have the biggest hunt on the grid, i'd rather turn away merchants who are an issue or can't follow rules, or who sell ripped content rather than have an extra 20 or 50 merchants!
[15:11] Rxx Axxxx: Right so you might want to take a look in the mirror [Ixx], because the last time I told you to back off you told me I was ruining twisted because I was changing it.... SOOO let us all just take a step back at our own actions I have never jumped on anyone to get them to rage quit, ever frankly I actually am more likely to encourage them that they can do it if you talk to anyone who has said to me that it's too hard they can't do it.... now let us move along ...
Really? Never jumped on anyone, you say? Really?
[15:12] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx: LOL You keep on twisting my words any way you like it.
[15:13] Cxxx Lxxxxxxxx: [Ixx] was stabbing at me, [Rxx].. not you. I just chose to ignore the snark because I don't give a [sh*t].
[15:13] Rxx Axxxx: enough [Ixx] no I have the chat log
[15:13] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx: smdh
So there was a bit of a break here, because a massive hug fest broke out for some reason, only not among the folks who seemed to actually be arguing. I don't see any reason to include that. Thus, we pick up later:
[15:20] Rxx Axxxx: So I am stepping away, but let me just be clear, I keep doing all that is required to make twisted happen, because I have loved this community for a decade since the first day I joined the group (before it was even open to the public) it was an amazing and special thing... I feel blessed and honored that [Vxxxx] chose me among those she did to continue it, and I think it's something special and valuable... that said, the trashing on me that has happened about not doing enough, or ruining something that I hold sacred this time around, has me at the edge of breaking point, how much is too much? How much money do I have to put in time do I have to give and ignore other projects to be enough? I am human, I am not perfect, and I really was close to postponing this hunt or canceling it before it started because my god father passed away shortly before the start, but I cared and didn't want to disappoint this community. So now I am going to ask everyone to please keep in mind that I work my damn ass off for
[15:20] Rxx Axxxx: Twisted, and often ignore my own projects for it, and if you have issue with it, send me what you think is not working, and how you think I should fix it and I will like I always have consider your feedback, but I will not take anyone trashing me because they find it fun or amusing or can't be bothered to at least step up and give constructive feedback rather than be a bully or whining for the sake of it.
[15:22] Jxxxxxxxxx Fxxxxxxxxx: listen for the amount of years this hunt has been going on is a remarkable feet in itself and if someone has an issue send a NC... it does not need to be posted in chat otherwise *** PISS oFF!! *** lol
I am really starting not to like this guy.

So...it's a reasonable request she makes, and I would, but...I've decided to include the lines exchanged yesterday. The time stamps are different because it's a capture directly from the SL stored chat log.
[2018/09/22 12:51] dxxxxxx Mxxxxxxx: btw, the endgame rocks, used skills first learned in super mario 64
[2018/09/22 13:04] Emilly Orr: Okay, look, if the End Game requires platforming, AGAIN, I AM NOT GOING BACK
[2018/09/22 13:04] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: YAY [Dxxxxxx]
[2018/09/22 13:04] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: platforming?
[2018/09/22 13:04] Emilly Orr: I was frustrated enough with the fire rings, but I am not playing it further if I have to jump on things and fall a thousand times
[2018/09/22 13:05] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and well the first rule of end game is we dont talk about end game
[2018/09/22 13:05] Emilly Orr: Then I'm done. I'll finish up some side hunts, but I'm done for the year.
[2018/09/22 13:06] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol
[2018/09/22 13:06] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: that sounds fun
[2018/09/22 13:06] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: just a heads up, the more that people say that they dont want jumping in end game, the more we put it in
[2018/09/22 13:06] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: but i know how to move my avi
It must be so thrilling being you.
[2018/09/22 13:06] Emilly Orr: Then I'm done with all the Twisted end games. I do not need to choose between playing SL, and having a coronary. It. Is not. Worth it.
[2018/09/22 13:07] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx: lol
[2018/09/22 13:07] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: steam out the ears
[2018/09/22 13:07] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol
[2018/09/22 13:07] sxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: [Rxx] and I have talked about doing jumping classes, to help others that want to learn, cuz i taught her
[2018/09/22 13:07] Mxxxx Mxxxxx: the advice to breathe and jump on the exhale helped me yesterday :P
[2018/09/22 13:07] Ixxxxxx Cxxxxxx puts out a fainting couch
[2018/09/22 13:07] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh i know a dj that does step class here in sl and pole dancing class
[2018/09/22 13:08] Emilly Orr: Yeah, I hit it early this year, between US politics and the fire rings. Now I'm hip-deep in being unhappy with Hair Fair demos, so it's not getting better.
[2018/09/22 13:08] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: maybe you can integrate
[2018/09/22 13:08] Mxxxx Mxxxxx: mostly, stay calm and take your time. I am the world's WORST jumper, so if I can do it, I know you can!!! :D
[2018/09/22 13:08] Emilly Orr: And trust me, [Sxx], people have tried to teach me to platform in several other games, and over those attempts, the attempts to learn platforming in video games in general, and 11 years of SL, it is not a skill I can learn. If I can't fly, I *cannot* platform. It's not wilfullness, it's just not my skill set at all.
[2018/09/22 13:09] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: ths is getting me hungry
[2018/09/22 13:10] axxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: i have sandwich making in my skill set.. have fun everyone
[2018/09/22 13:11] rxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Yanno, I'm starting to like that DJ character. lol
Funny, I'm not. But okay, I would take it back, that okay, it wasn't [Rxx], but [Sxx] and Miss [Ixx] and DJ A who decided jumping on my last nerve was grand fun, but...looking for that particular interchange in the chat log, I came across this:
[2018/09/22 13:48] Rxx Axxxx: SOOOO I Heard we had an end game rage quit this morning... let me reitterate what I've said dozens of times, JUMPING has been a part of end games for a decade, jumping WILL be a part of what we choose from for end game for the next decade... I personally set up the jumping this time, so that it is MUCH MUCH easier than last, AND it is doable! THat said, the more people whine, complain or even rage quit end game... the more likely I am to say YES we MUST have that in the next end game... so if you REALLY hate it you probably should consider not complaining that it's too hard, cuz, this is Twisted, and that's kind of what we're looking for... just saying, that is all!
Okay. Guess I'm done, then.

I will outline the points briefly I want to conclude with, because this is already way too long.
  1. No, jumping has not been a part of Twisted end games for a decade. That is a bald-faced lie.
  2. I will never know if the platforming part is easier than last year's, will I, because I can't get past the fire rings.
  3. If the point of the Twisted hunt is to make the End Game--which was in past years always an extra, not an essential for anything except the group title switch and the extra gifts--as mind-crushingly hard as possible, and not themed with the rest of the game, and a fun exploration of creativity...well, then yes, I for one say Twisted has changed.
And I don't like the changes.

End trans.

No comments:

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...