24 April, 2012

a romantic bust, a blunder turned explosive blunderbuss

And now, Minecraft theatre!

Or, at least, pictures and a bit of history from the Caledon Minecraft server.

(from the Minecrafting album)

This is the first picture I remember taking on the Caledon Minecraft server. When the first night fell, it was raining heavily in the small village a few paces from the spawn point (the spawn point at that time was in the desert to the east of the village; when Des moved the server to an external host, the spawn point moved to the west of the village, closer to the first XP generator made (skeleton flavor).

(from the Minecrafting album)

There are two words for villagers--one is, well, "villagers", and the other is Testificate, an early term Notch was known to use when developing the NPC-class villagers. Even though many homes were not in use that first night, the villagers all picked one (small) house to try to pack into when night fell. This is the same house seen in the above picture, but in this one, there are so many villagers crammed into that small space that they're glitching through the ceiling and walls.

(from the Minecrafting album)

While I still like Minecraft--after all, I was in the game when it was still in alpha--I didn't feel possessively about any of the biomes until the jungle biome came alone. I loooove the jungle biome. I love the vines, I love that vines against solid surfaces mean I can climb them, I love the trees--though I should say, that's a codicil to all my shots. Unless you have my texture pack (through Painterly, the customizeable compile of over a dozen individual packs), you won't have that bright red cherry bark on the jungle trees. (Regular jungle trees and bark look like this.)

This is the first section of jungle biome to the immediate north of the desert, which is immediately north of the village next to the spawn.

(from the Minecrafting album)

And yes, I know, I showed a similar shot before--as did New World Notes--but still. It's the only air kraken I've ever seen in Minecraft. I've seen them in flooded halls, I've seen them flapping weakly in flooded meadows, I've seen them trying to climb up fountain sprays--but until this point, I never saw one in midair.

This one hovers just to the north of our old mountain base (which is again, north of the jungle and north of the desert and north of the main village).

(from the Minecrafting album)

The ravine we discovered--somewhat by accident--underneath the abandoned base. (That's Hank Riker, fellow CaleCraft explorer, beside me.)

(from the Minecrafting album)

The main problem with ravines is that they're massively deep underground caverns--much, much larger, higher, and usually wider than the average cave system. To keep monsters from spawning, after all, one needs to light up the space, and there's just so much space in a ravine, that's hard to do.

The other main problem--for me, at least--is that usually when I find a ravine--or a couple times, notably, fall into one--I'm left with a smattering of torches and it's basically a full-time job to start counting down the things I need:

  • do I have enough torches? 
  • where's the nearest source of coal? 
  • do I have enough wood to make torch handles? 
  • do I have ladders to get the hell out of this ravine? 

They're definitely on the daunting side.

(Again, keep in mind that what Hank is holding in this shot is my variant on a torch. In my texture pack, torches are actually mystically radiating blue crystal clusters that I fuse to the walls as I pass by. In most texture packs, they look like this.)

More to come!

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...