27 October, 2012

until there's nothing left of what was my former self

This next one's...odd.

(from the haunts album; the Haunted Holiday Area at yet another almost-DisneySLand)

As you may have gathered from the last couple of entries, there's a lot of Haunted Mansion references on the grid this year. The next one is no different: Bracket's Magicland Park, and the "Haunted Holiday Area", which was...a little weird for me.

(from the haunts album; more of the Haunted Holiday Area)

First, it's not a ride, it's more of a casual stroll (which, in one section, you can turn into an ice-skating opportunity). Second, it's all...wintry, and 'holiday' holiday. Like...Yule holiday. Bwuh?

(from the haunts album; more of the Haunted Holiday Area)

I won't lie, some of the decorations were charming (personally, I'd kill for bat wrapping paper in December), and the size of the area made it feel very cozy and familiar. But...it's not a haunt.

(from the haunts album; more of the Haunted Holiday Area)

Apparently--at least, since the arrival of Nightmare Before Christmas--this is something Disneyland just does in October, and have done so for several years now. I wouldn't know; most of my Disneyland experience is prior to the millenium shift. According to one who's spent more time than might be legal obsessing on all things Disney, this one's fairly close to the way the original looks, so I get why they wanted to...deck their halls, so to speak.

(from the haunts album; more of the Haunted Holiday Area)

I don't know, though; I guess I'm the wrong target audience for this. Or maybe it's just too early for jingle bats.

(from the haunts album; the Haunted Railcar..."Attraction"?)

Rixendale's Haunted Ride Railcar was next. Ugh.

(from the haunts album; the Haunted Railcar..."Attraction"?)

I did snap a few pics, the best two of which I've included here, but seriously, unless you really enjoy head-splitting volume levels and far too much bass distort on your vocals, don't even bother.

It's overly busy, it's not well built, the concept is disjointed, the ride--when it dumps you off into one of the ride areas at the end--sends you down very nearly beneath the floor of the room you land in...pair that with the fuzzy vocals, the distortion, the screaming, and poorly timed special effects, and really, it's a dead loss. Don't go.

(from the haunts album; the cemetary at Le Dome)

I'd like to end on a high note, so let me bring up Le Dome's little haunt. All it is really, is a small parcel cemetary, but trust me, it's far from a waste of time. Whomever's behind this really knew what they wanted to build, and it's both quaint and charming.

(from the haunts album; the cemetary at Le Dome)

Plus, pumpkin mask! No, I'm serious, before you go in, there's a box where you can get one of six pumpkin "masks" that cover your head entirely. And they're free! That alone is worth the trip.

There is a slight zombie infestation going on, but they're relatively easy to damage, and (generally speaking) won't damage you. It's still fun, though.

With or without a pumpkin head.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...