20 October, 2010

start wearing purple for me now

Quick little post while I have time--I'd love to do a full picture spread with a lot of background, but...well, actually, let me crib the text from the Discord Designs notecard:
Hi all - it's not often I stick my neck out and jump on my soapbox, but this is one of those times.

Recently, there has been a lot of light shed in the media onto the suicides of young LGBT people, who have cracked under the weight of overwhelming bullying and ended it all.

Any suicide is a tragedy - so in a show of solidarity to those young people dealing with bullying as a part of their every day lives, October the 20th has been declared "Wear Purple" day - to draw attention to this issue, and pass on the message that "it gets better".

On a personal note, I believe this is something that cannot and should not be swept under the rug. I'm just thankful I survived high school and was able to get through without succumbing to the bullies - I was on the receiving end for six years because I wasn't 'normal'... hey... I'm still not normal, but now at least I realise that that's OK...

...and you know what... it *did* get better.

Anyway... I'm wearing purple today, and I would like to encourage you to do the same... so I've thrown all of my purple -dDx- boxes at my primary satellite stores out for today only at 1L apiece. This is not about fundraising - just awareness raising.
Now keep in mind, she's serious about this--you're going to have to travel to her satellite locations at Second Style Island, the Moonsong Caves, and the Vertigo Shopping District (you may have to have the beacon guide you to this one, and lag is high).

Malfean Visions is also having a half-off all purple items in their main store, as well. There's likely other stores participating; log in and check around.

Crimson & Clover is also closing. All that lovely inventiveness...gone from the grid. Like so many others. More reports on them later on.

In the meantime, for more information on why today, and why purple, visit GLAAD. Be safe out there.

(And for a different--but no less true--perspective...read this..)

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...