22 June, 2009

time it may take us but God only knows how I've paid for those things in the past

Apparently, all the protesting over the switching about of the pie menu? Doesn't matter a whit; we're moving to Steam-influenced drop-down menus, apparently.

Good to know the Lindens are in touch with what their users expect and want.

Ferrofluids. Wau. New concept.

(Several hours later--having now experimented further with the 1.23 viewer--the pie menu is still abhorrent and non-useful, even with the suggested .xml file fixes. Even worse? There are no prim counts anywhere under the Edit menus in 1.23. ANYWHERE.

(This is death for building.)

I guess now we just wait for Second Life 2.0...because 1.23? Is profoundly, and unworkably, flawed.

I believe my comment sums this one up. Sadly, it's very very long, so takes eighteen months to load. Apologies for that.

And this one is shorter, but no less baffling. And is that the Welsh dragon seen in the middle?

Back to Hair Fair. Guess I'm a martyr for lag. But I had a goal: Discord Designs had new braids out.

Thankfully, Discord wasn't that far away from the northeast beam-in point I'd chosen, and I bought the new Yolanda style, before I noticed something on an inner wall:

Niobe.

Photobucket

How very Matrix.

Even better, Niobe is a single Linden, with all proceeds going to Locks of Love.

So with the purchase of one new release, and one dollarbie, I've now donated sixty-one Lindens to Locks of Love. That's not a bad deal at all for five different shades in two styles.

But there's so much Hair Fair to go, and so much lag...I may end up a box prim in two dimensions at this rate!

(Further conversation with Edward on the 1.23 viewer? He tells me that the prim counts were moved up into the top box section of the edit menu, you know, where NO ONE would think to look. Too late anyway. Uninstalled. They'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into 1.23...or upgrade to a new viewer before I stop playing entirely. This is ridiculous, it's UN. USABLE.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

/me is voting in jira

Emilly Orr said...

I did too, but it won't help--for once we know the future, and it's not pie menus.

Anonymous said...

Well, LL claims that the 2.0 beta Tateru saw was a very early prototype that will be very different from the final release. (And that they'll be considering Resident feedback before the final cut, but we know how much stock to put in that.) So who knows.

Emilly Orr said...

I put no trust in the Lindens to listen to their residents, ever. It's a miracle when someone actually manages to be heard; for the most part, they don't play the game, they don't listen, they don't know what we're saying half the time when we do manage to communicate.

So I'll reserve judgement, but only because I have serious doubts that a complete revision of the interface could possibly be worse than 1.23.

Anonymous said...

That is great-looking hair! I sent an alt after a copy, and after multiple tries (sim full! sim full! sim full!), managed to get in. What a lagfest! But managed to snag the hair. :-)

Emilly Orr said...

It's insane this year. But Kallisti Burns is a great designer--she actually makes lower-lag high-prim hair, because it's all based around the same texture. Whereas I've all but stopped wearing any style over 100 prims, I'll make the exception for her designs.

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...