22 August, 2007

moonlight on the soft brown earth, it leads me to where you lay

Steelhead's new train station is finally finished. Appropriately, it has the town picture Sir Edward took when my camera failed, of the residents visitors are likely to meet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

From left to right, Miss Qlippothic Projects, Captain Midnight Bohemia, Sheriff Fuzzball Ortega, Lady Primbroke, Christine McAllister-Pearse, Warrior Goddess (and sim manager) Tensai Hilra, Miss Kattrynn Severine (owner of the sim), Earl of Primbroke, Sir Edward Pearse, Bloodwing Dragonash (then still possessing Dr. Darien Mason), your capable chronicler in lavender fur, Miss Lumina Elvehjem (designer of the Steelhead Public Gardens), Mr. Finnian Fitzgerald (founder of the Steelhead Gun Club), and Mr. TotalLunar Eclipse (capable sim manager himself, and builder of the new train station, in addition to many other structures).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Outside the train station, even the 5:15 just pulling in looks a little more exotic, against the backdrop of Tensai and Lunar's new store.

Actually, over the past six months, the character of Steelhead, while remaining true to its nature, has changed significantly in appearance. Now it's really more San Francisco gold coast, less Boot Hill. And considering Steelhead City is in Oregon...that's no bad thing.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And then there's the Taiyou.

I still look at her and she takes my breath away. Taiyou House. The palace. Largest thing anyone's ever built for me.

She's going away.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was a mutual decision, I want no one to go to the management of Steelhead and accuse them of wrongdoing. I was involved, I was part of why it's going away.

Why is it going away? Combination of factors, really. It was beautiful but it was huge. It wasn't well utilized. Delay in getting it up and open, combined with, if I'm to be honest, managerial misconduct...I claim my faults in this, I could have done better.

But more, while a place for Companions is wanted in Steelhead...we can do better, go smaller. Utilise the space we've got more effectively.

Save prims in the process.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Plus, the saloon is finally going to be rebuilt, saving even more prims. We'll be using the upstairs of the saloon, the first floor still being, well, saloon. Just can't have a Western town without a saloon, after all.

Then the large footprint the Taiyou had can be turned over to vendor stalls, merchants, rental slots....fish market...whatever.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This still makes me giggle, somewhat--I saw Miss Terry Lightfoot for the first time from the balcony of the Taiyou. In an hour of talking, I setting up various poses, Miss Lightfoot on the roof of the then-new business of Avalanche, Sputnik and Lightfoot, we became friends.

Reminds me, I should write her soon. Perhaps go visit Professor Sputnik again--after all, I haven't seen him since the change.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I won't say I won't miss seeing the Taiyou of an evening. I did so want it to succeed. And it didn't precisely fail--it staggered, it stumbled, but it wasn't a complete disappointment. I hold to that. And I'll still have access to everything that went into it, and some--though far from all!--can go back in the upstairs of the new saloon.

For that matter, since it will be a saloon, I have some lovely Victorian settees I can put out...that could work better.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Goodbye, old girl. I may be the only one, but I'll miss you. And if you did nothing else, you taught me the value of attention, and gave a new builder much-needed confidence in his skills. For that alone, you were a worthy structure indeed.

But trust me, the ladies of the Taiyou? We aren't going away.

Now, if I can just find more of them...

6 comments:

turnerBroadcasting said...

:~(

Emilly Orr said...

We'll be back. I wouldn't worry. It was lovely, but all lovely things pass.

TotalLunar Eclipse said...

Wait until I build the new place... you want lovely... you'll get it.

Emilly Orr said...

*smiles*

I would gently drop the word in your ear, though...make it lovely if you wish, because you will be building it, and you cannot build structures that do not possess their own grace. But think...frontier. Think...comfortable. It can be beautiful, it can be lovely...it doesn't have to be a showplace.

After all, we have the hotel for that.

TotalLunar Eclipse said...

duly noted and its going to be very tamed by way of textures and build style. Ive picke dout a lovely RL build to base it on, but like I said, not something you need to worry about until the time comes to occupy it.

Emilly Orr said...

I shall leave it in your capable hands, and not worry until the move.

Spent most of the day in and out of world, but while I was in, I got several IMs out, tried to figure out the server (and failed, I may have to drop a note to the maker), and set out the dances and poses again.

Since I'd, er, taken them down.

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...