02 August, 2011

I want to know what you're thinking, there are some things you can't hide

In a startling development, the main asset-holder for the Meeroos on the grid was banned from SL. Now, to be fair, mistakes do happen, and the Lindens have been known to reverse their decisions on bans, but...I'm just going to coast on this small little rose-colored cloud of Meeroo incipient demise, so don't mind me. It'll likely all blow over, but right now I can see the lack of Meeroos on the horizon, and it comforts my soul.

If I ever wanted to play Diablo III, I don't now. No modding, no offline play, and an auction house setup guaranteed to attract quest farmers and gold farmers, so Diablo III will become yet another fantasy enterprise where we'd spend more of our time dodging level-2 idiots screaming in the street about how cheap their gold is...versus actually playing the damned game.

No. I give up. Not playing.

In other news, Michael Prime--aka zFire Xue--has pleaded guilty to four counts of violating his previous probation--interestingly enough, for computer fraud.

For the next two years--after his release--he is confined to his home, prohibited from all interaction with computers, and his activities will be monitored.

Save--barring the ankle bracelet and the confining part--that was his previous prohibition, and look what happened. Here's hoping this time around goes better for us...and results in less activity from him.

Last thing--this was a quick little entry--I was fascinated to find a brief comparison to World of Warcraft and the Iliad, via the expeditious acquisition of epic loot. It raises some very pointed questions about society, history, and military culture. I'd love to see it expanded, but for now, since McKnight is working on his doctoral thesis...that may be all we get.

Still, it's a great question to pose. What relevance did 'epic loot' play in history? What relevance does it play now? There's looting on every battlefield; what's taken, and why?

All good questions; it's just a pity McKnight's too busy to explore the answers. (Still, possible book in this...it's a thought.)

2 comments:

Serenity Semple said...

I do a little dance everytime a breedable dies off the grid. Also I don't think you read it but yesterday in the Wallstreet Journal news on the front page (near the bottom) there was an article about the lawsuit between Ozimals, Amaretto Horses, and LL. It wasen't really well done imho, but kinda late huh? Plus I imagine WSJ is feeling for any news now. XD

Emilly Orr said...

I caught that, and thank you for the link; it's included in a future entry.

Maybe it's just me, but overscripting + intense lag + having to continually shell out for more food/newer traits/more exotic pets = hostile scripting. In this light, breedables are an extended griefing attack, really.

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...