26 August, 2011

and I tore out the buckets from a red Corvette

Master of Flash lick my hatchet wound
Literal Lass: That nearly sounds like a challenge


Most of the time playing in City of Heroes is fairly mundane. While there are some freak-outs here and there, for the most part the roleplayers roleplay, the rest of us run missions, and no one gets hurt.

Usually.

And I don't want to tell you that this went anywhere, because it didn't. But I will say it's one of the odder things I've heard anyone in City of Heroes utter to me, and that includes the NPCs.

"I don't know, it just showed up!" Hee!

I don't remember if I mentioned the GameStop debacle yesterday, over GameStop employees being told by management to open game boxes and remove content provided in the game. (Yes, okay, it was a coupon for a month of OnLive service; I don't care if it was a small squeaky toy dog, what matters is that they were opening factory-sealed games, removing the coupon, then selling them as if they were still factory-sealed. That's so far beyond sleazy we need a new word, because it would be offensive to sleazy people to term it that.

Well, the plot thicks, apparently; today has dawned with announcement of a new offer: this one primed at seducing back any customers lost by their bonehead moves earlier. As quoted in the email mentioned in that entry:
For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.
The problems with this, in my opinion, are manifold:
  • They removed game items included with the game. I don't think this loss of faith is recoverable.
  • They're offering a toss-off $50 game card to try to buy back their customer base. Are they kidding?
  • They're offering with that a 'Buy two get one' offer...which is the same offer frequently found in their store ANYWAY.
  • And ultimately, if they've done it with Deus Ex--and gotten caught--then what haven't they been caught doing?
For me, that last one is the most damning.

Moving to RL matters, there are concerns on Hurricane Irene's path of (potential) devastation, and no wonder, considering the projected path. Still, some folks are getting prepared early:

[19:37] Zyx Flux: And if you look at this hurricane map, you can see me
[19:38] Zyx Flux: Let me zoom in for you
[19:40] Ami Tamura: lol zyx
[19:40] Fawkes Allen: Yeah, sorry about that. I just didn't want Irene to hit, so been blowing all my fans Eastward.
[19:41] Emilly Orr: Wau. 'Fun' little map thing...in that sense of 'fun' being something most people don't survive...
[19:41] Zyx Flux: We are resigned to losing power.


And potentially more. Here's to power loss being the only bad thing.

The Muppets now have a nail polish collection. I...don't really have anything to add to that.

[NPC] Enforcer Smasher: I can't stop smashing things!
[NPC] Freak Buckshot: Rage against the machine, man!


Fight the power.

Finally, look what's going on in Sweden--Minecraft socks! Whee! (The only problem? Well, beyond the price of them? They're only calf-high! Think KNEE-high, people, KNEE-high! Honestly.)

No comments:

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...