20 August, 2010

as long as we blindly obey and do exactly what they say

So, you're a Dolcett girl. But you want to show off the best cuts of your to-be-slowly-cooked form, and you're just not sure how?

Don't worry, there's hope. So to speak. L$50 at World of Water.

(Note from the Editrix: lo, these many months later, I do not have a back-up copy of that image, and more importantly, at the World of Water link is a Gorean purveyor of prim plants and rustic furnishings. So no go there.

(To...erm...help any seekers of this product in future, I...well. I have no idea, really. But there's a girl roaster on the Marketplace, a Japanese brand for meatgirls, and two different tattoo packs, a meat suit in heavy black printing, and a meat suit in red printing. All from different makers, I think. Hope that...helps?)


MOVING ON. OMG PLEASE.

So, Emerald's finding itself in quite controversial waters of late. They had plans to resurrect the extraordinarily abuse-worthy rating system in SL (though apparently later they scrapped the idea); they hired on Qarl Linden (followed almost immediately by LordGregGreg Beck's departure due to security concerns), they were already in hot waters over data mining accusations (including ones clear back to May of this year), in addition to an increase in crashes due to one of the viewer's internal .dll files, and as if that's not enough, there's also potential userdata issues with that one .dll file/library set anyway.

Whuf. Lots of bad things going on.

So I switched to Imprudence, for several reasons:
  • they've implemented Viewer 2 features in a Viewer 1 structure (honestly, all I really wanted)
  • they've stabilized their platform
  • they've altered the color scheme to be less nighmarishly fuschia or solid monochrome
  • there's still a pie menu feature
  • there are more fun Emerald-like bits of coding involved (like making my avatar phantom during griefing attacks/weapons fire), and
  • they've implemented both the legacy Pie menus, AND HTTP texture fetching
  • they've included LL's own internal recording system (still enabled, but no longer used in the main client)
Whee!

So far, in running it this morning, it hasn't crashed, slowed, blipped, dropped any group chats, or malfunctioned in any way. I'm sure it will--I am Death to all technology, after all, by unfortunate nature--but for right now? Purring like a kitten with cream. Yay.

In the meantime, more fun adventures with Alamunara Darkfire. I admit, I started this one:

[16:06] Emilly Orr: Alamunara, you seem to have 1) confused me with my landlady, Midnight Bohemia (Midnight and Emilly: not the same person, two different people), and 2) ticked her off somehow. So if you really want to come back to Lady Disdain, let me know, I'll see if she'll unban you from the parcel my shop's on. But she's banned you from her castle. What did you do?
[16:06] Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.


Which was fine, I was needed in the sales office anyway. But nearly an hour later, he (yes! It's a he!) got in world:

[16:57] Alamunara Darkfire: ??
[16:58] Alamunara Darkfire: ohh ya i wanted 2 look in it and i didnt no it was a house

I find this very hard to believe, but I'm trying to be polite, here. Ish.

[16:59] Emilly Orr: Well, to be fair, it's hard to tell what are businesses, and what aren't, on that sim.
[16:59] Emilly Orr: But just for walking in, she wouldn't ban you. So what happened?
[16:59] Alamunara Darkfire: ikr
[17:00] Emilly Orr: ikr?
[17:00] Alamunara Darkfire: its means i no right

So...not only can he not spell...but he fails spelling even when trying to spell the phrase out, rendering it "inr" instead of "ikr" and while we're on the topic, I HATE NETSPEAK.

*coughs* Sorry. Moving on--

[17:00] Emilly Orr: Still doesn't make sense
[17:00] Emilly Orr: Do you mean "I know"?
[17:00] Alamunara Darkfire: yes
[17:00] Emilly Orr: Ah.
[17:00] Alamunara Darkfire: the castle looked kool and thought it belonged to bloodlines

But of COURSE. Because ALL castle-like structures MUST belong to Bloodlines vamps!

Gods, I loathe those people. Then he sent me a port:

[17:01] Emilly Orr blinks
[17:01] Emilly Orr: Why are you porting me to Twilight Tears?
[17:01] Alamunara Darkfire: its my home
[17:02] Emilly Orr: You bought a parcel on that sim?
[17:02] Alamunara Darkfire: ???????????

Seriously. Is any word in that sentence hard to figure out? In fact, with the exception of 'parcel', no word in that sentence is over a single syllable!

[17:02] Emilly Orr tries to break it down into simpler words
[17:02] Emilly Orr: Are you renting on Twilight Tears now?
[17:03] Alamunara Darkfire: no i own it my fvriend made it for me
[17:03] Emilly Orr: No, no.
[17:03] Alamunara Darkfire: ?!?!?!?

Yeah, my saying 'no, no' was confusing enough to warrant four question marks and three exclamation points. Excitable, or something.

[17:03] Emilly Orr: Are you the one who rents the land that your house is on?
[17:03] Alamunara Darkfire: yes
[17:03] Emilly Orr: Ah.
[17:04] Emilly Orr: Okay, but I'm not on viewer 2; the maps.secondlife feature doesn't always work for me.
[17:04] Alamunara Darkfire: k

So I clicked 'Teleport'. And wouldn't you know it, another cool thing about the new Imprudence--it translates maps.secondlife.com-based SLUrls just fine! Yay!

I ported, and ended up on a large, square, sky-pattered platform supporting a large chest, and an inverted layer cake. Freakiest thing I'd seen in SL in quite some time. Apparently it was the house his friend built for him.

But it turns out that the chest was apparently a chest-shaped coffin? Or...something...because Alamunara popped out of it like toast.

Unfortunately, past this point everything skews, a bit--I had more to discuss, and pictures, even, but my hard drive wiped in mid-operation, and...I'm still trying to reconstruct things. I've lost all graphics program access, I can't install programs for some reason, and...yeah. It's a mess.

In talks with my landlady, though, her position is clear: she's not banning him from the sim, as an estate manager for that sim; she's banning him from her parcels, as an owner of those parcels. I think that's fair, actually. If he gets out of line, she'll estate-ban him, because she's already in no mood to deal with someone who started out saying 'You have all these rooms, I'mma stay in YOUR house. Bloodlines RULEZ'. It's not completely impossible to work up from there, but it's going to take a lot of concerted effort...

...which frankly, I don't think he has in him. Still, I think this really is the last of it.

I hope.

2 comments:

Edward Pearse said...

Geez you can pick 'em can't you?

Emilly Orr said...

At some point, my forehead was invisibly tattooed with "PLEASE TALK TO ME". Possibly only on a wavelength the truly deranged can read. :)

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...