07 June, 2010

the only way to really know is to really let it go

[13:22] Jeri Rahja: well Emiliy your profile fits yu - you make noting of nothing
[13:22] Emilly Orr: What in the hell, Jeri? I make nothing of nothing? How do you get *that* from my prolfile?


I admit it--Jeri managed to upset me enough to typo. And after that, I fell silent, because I didn't want to bring drama to the Twisted Thorn group chat.

But seriously, people--the conversation this morning only started because someone was looking for something (sculpt maps of a sprinkler, as it turns out, which--if anyone cares--can be gotten as a whole object here for L$299 but as far as I know, was never discovered as a sculpt kit). And it immediately hit the death spiral of inane Jeri statements like

[13:08] Jeri Rahja: have you looked in search
[13:08] Jeri Rahja: i am looking in search
[13:08] Jeri Rahja: and finding a lot


and

[13:12] Jeri Rahja: i been in sl since 06 and i think the griefers have been all but solved

and

[13:17] Jeri Rahja: edit off
[13:17] Jeri Rahja: acess closed
[13:18] Jeri Rahja: very smart


Honestly. I don't know what her problem is, or why she thinks all griefing is a matter of never clicking on Edit Terrain on land tools, and closing off your parcel to everyone but you...I mean, hells, forget rezzing objects, or scripting avatars themselves to walk in and grief--what about voice griefing? Grendel's, several times, has had people standing in the store screaming at patrons in voice. The only way to stop that? Disable voice, but then you're locked away, while they reign verbal terror over everyone else. Seems radically unfair.

Anyway. This close to muting her--and if she acts out again, I will, I have no patience these days--but I will endeavor to move on. B'sides, she can't spell to save her life, which is irritating when she's yelling at me because then I have to pay attention to how badly she can't spell. Pfff. Just not cool.

More oddity from the day:

[15:11] Serenity Semple: Worst nipples I've seen on a new skin in a LONG time http://i46.tinypic.com/15dnajr.png
[15:11] Frurry Fluno: yughftwetet
[15:12] Lalinda Lovell: they copy and pasted them on upside down

Gad, they're not kidding. What the hell? Why on earth did they DO that?!?

In other not-cool news, went to Cabera on a sculpt map hunt this morning:

Second Life,wtf,not cool,annoying,stupid

Does this mean I have an account now on that stupid site? Damn it!

In other depressing news, Keira Seerose, the main organizer behind the Black & Blue Fair, bought another quarter-sim to try to improve the ongoing lag situation. (That's not the depressing news; it's good that she's trying to do everything she can with what's proving to be very much the popular event.)

But currently, because of a permissions issue, the Fair is closed, while some group issues are straightened out. And she is worried that, with all the drama and ensuing publicity, good, bad and indifferent alike, this may be the nail in the Fair's sapphirine coffin.

I personally don't think it is; and I'm willing to check back and tell you when the rollback happens, and the Fair reopens.

In the meantime, Miss Seerose isn't the only one with problems; apparently Miss Ravenlynn Templar is having insane difficulty with newcomers to the grid who don't understand how to resize things by hand:

Hello all.
I wanted to go ahead and cover the two perm [options] that Lvs & Co [have] in their prim pieces of the outfits.

The older items are always copy/mod
Which enable you to physically change the size if needed.

Now I have talked to so many new members of SL who don't know how to resize by hand, or just members who like the ease of simply clicking the garment and getting a menu.

PXL released a brand new smart resizer that is simply one script, and is very low lag.

That is the script that is in the items that are "resize script enabled"

I even make sure and note that on the box, so you know what [you're] getting.

Lvs & Co clothing has always given you the [option] to be mod, it's been the same for 6 years now, and thats not going to change.

To those of you who asked me politely,about the different perms,especially when lag didn't give you the menu.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart,and you all show the upmost of class.

I am proud to have you as my customers.


I am a diffident consumer of LVS & Companies' work, for all that I've had Miss Saur Holt on the friendslist for the last...ever, and I knew her before her business name changed. This doesn't mean I don't like them, it just means I haven't had as much in the way of disposable Linden income for the past two years.

I do have dresses from them, Miss Templar and Miss Holt both do wonderful work. And things are getting much better on the resize menu department--it used to be once resize scripted, always resize scripted, and that's not the case now; many scripts offer the option of setting it, then deleting it.

Me, yes, I know I shift shape, but I still remain fairly consistent in certain areas. And where I don't, I won't require a constant resize script option open. And most of the time, if it's not scripted, and needs adjustment, I can adjust it.

I just don't get people who can't figure out a drop-down menu, though. They can't resize things by hand? Okay, that's editing, and I've known people who've completely buggered things beyond all reason trying to edit them. But they can't figure out what to do to use a drop down that contains setting buttons that say Main Prim and All Prims; percentages desired to raise or shrink the size; and a final button that says Delete scripts or some local variation?

These are people who would stare at a fast food paper bag and despair of getting their food, methinks.

More ranting; I really hate clubs like this:

[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |_..._...__________===|=||_|__|..., ] -
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: "(@)'(@)"""''"****|(@)(@)****''(@)
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: _.;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;.
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: *** BRING EM DOWN BY THE TRUCKLOAD!! & LET's PARTY!!!! ***
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: | TP YA FRIENDS DOWN!..| ||'|";, ___.
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |_..._...__________===|=||_|__|..., ] -
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: "(@)'(@)"""''"****|(@)(@)****''(@)
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: _.;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;.
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: *** BRING EM DOWN BY THE TRUCKLOAD!! & LET's PARTY!!!! ***
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: | TP YA FRIENDS DOWN!..| ||'|";, ___.
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: |_..._...__________===|=||_|__|..., ] -
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: "(@)'(@)"""''"****|(@)(@)****''(@)
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: _.;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;..;:+*'`'*+:;.
[16:46] Kendra Denver shouts: *** BRING EM DOWN BY THE TRUCKLOAD!! & LET's PARTY!!!! ***


And I really, really hate clubs like this when it's from the same club that just spammed my screen into oblivion for the last two minutes:

[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: *•.¸ ('*•.¸ ♥ ¸.•*´) ¸.•*
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: .•*♥ YOU PPL ARE HOT! ♥*•.
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: ¸.•* (¸.•*´ ♥ `*•.¸) `*•.¸
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: *•.¸ ('*•.¸ ♥ ¸.•*´) ¸.•*
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: .•*♥ YOU PPL ARE HOT! ♥*•.
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: ¸.•* (¸.•*´ ♥ `*•.¸) `*•.¸
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: *•.¸ ('*•.¸ ♥ ¸.•*´) ¸.•*
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: .•*♥ YOU PPL ARE HOT! ♥*•.
[16:47] Kendra Denver shouts: ¸.•* (¸.•*´ ♥ `*•.¸) `*•.¸


It's mental, repeating things that often. Sheer insanity. And, since I'm already ranting in here, significantly stupid. It doesn't make me want to go there, it doesn't make me want to tip, it doesn't make me feel special--it makes me feel deluged, annoyed, angry and willing to sling abuse to match the lines of green spam.

Handy tip, hosts: if you're going to code everything in text gestures, DO NOT REPEAT THEM TO DEATH. It tells people you're unable to think your way out of an open one-sided box, first, and second, it tells people you are completely uninterested in doing anything but dunning folks for tip money and making sure they think you care about them. What your patrons hear? I don't care about you. What they hear after that? Pay us, then stay and pay us more, then get the hell out of our club.

Trust me, piss enough people off, you'll be wondering why your club no longer draws the big numbers. TONE THAT CRAP DOWN.

I may work on things in Glidden, then port in quickly to Walrus, drop them, adjust them, then get the hell out again for more prim work. The hell, people.

In more pleasing news, I continue to be surprised and charmed by the writing and plotlines developing in Echo Bazaar. To wit, the latest example, drawn when I had reached the Flit (the upper roofs of the highest townhouses in Fallen London):

A marvellous view of the city. A sudden encounter with a bat-flock more resembling weather than animals. The sweet smokes of bakeries and inns. A crate of quietly moaning bottled souls abandoned by a careless spirifer.

Oh my, yes. Lovely, lovely descriptions.

I think I need to go kill things in Runes. More of actual non-ranting content later.

No comments:

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...