06 November, 2018

and the American girls in their American dreams

I don't even remember where I was, some little Halloween event end of October, but I saw this lass there and knew I had to snap a couple quick shots. And I do have one problem with her avatar...but it's not what you think.



Yeah, okay, the outfit's on the minimal side. And yeah, okay, she is definitely curvy. I don't have a problem with that--weirdly, she's reasonably proportional within the limits of a humanoid shape. Even her hands are approximately sized, and not tiny twee baby digits flailing weakly at the end of stick arms.

No, my problem is--her face. And not even her face, as a cohesive whole, but the fact that she rezzed in and immediately looked as if she'd ported atop garbage, or was sneeringly contemptuous over the whole affair. Looking serious is not a problem, and I am by no means insisting that everyone just needs to smile. Smiling doesn't work for all situations.

Despite all that, there is a difference between a face at rest, calm but not necessarily smiling, and...this. This is contempt. This is a sneer. This is a deeply judgemental and aggressive look on her face.

You can't see it because of the censored bar, but her eyes were narrowed, too. I waited before I snapped any shots, hoping it was just that animation or something, but--nope, just sneering contempt and narrowed eyes. That's just...awful.



And sure, I still think footless tights are pointless, I always will, but a lot of makers make them, and a lot of people wear them, so who am I at the end of the day? All I know is, she was totally carrying off the rest of that look, horns to heels (even with the fact that dat ass made her ankles look really spindly), until you got to her face, and that disturbing, sneering, contemptuous expression.

I just don't get it. I'd rather go back to the days of still faces and minimal expressive movements over the downturned expression, the wide pouty fish-lips in general, because really, that's just...unpleasant.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...