04 November, 2018

chilled to the marrow in them bones

Oh, boy, and I thought Diablo III was bad. We went from the dark moodiness of Diablo II:



and the deep, burnished red glare of the dungeons:



to Diablo III's emphasis on aqua being the color of everything supernatural:


(Above image courtesy of Gamespot.)

and candy-colored boss fights:


(Above screencap taken from IGN Live's coverage of the PS4 game launch, in 2014.)

That was insulting enough, but the news from Blizzcon was that Blizzard has decided phone Diablo is the wave of the future. Yeah. A mobile game. Do they not understand their audience at ALL?!??

As a dear friend said, "People are not fond of when you take beloved big well realized games and move them on over into crappy phone games." I wholly agree.

And you know, you just know going into this it's going to go chibi characters and microtransactions. Bet me. Oh, I don't even have to bet, I know this going in. It's going to be all mini-games to gain currency to buy specialty skins and lootboxes, and offers for Fortnite imitation arena battles. It's so depressing.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...