14 April, 2008

no refuge could save the hireling and slave

Why Second Life will never catch on was written back in June of 2007, followed by this more recent article.

Here's the one thing that makes me wonder, from the comments on the first and the content on the second: who's Mitch Kapor?

And yes, I mean beyond the obvious--because yes, I know who he is and what he's done for Lotus and for the internet in general. But who is he to the grid? We hear from Philip Linden that LL are seeking out a new chairman; we hear from both these articles that chair is Mitch Kapor. Am I missing something?

Amd wait wait wait--some people haven't gone up to 1.19.1 from 1.18 yet, and now they're talking 1.21?? SLOW THE HELL DOWN. Or are the server systems not on the grid numeration systems at all?

At least they say they're not updating the viewer along with wildly tossing regions down...and did we mention, LL sending out notices tonight that several features are problematic on the grid? While notices are problematic for many residents to receive...

Ongoing grid-in-decay maneuvers. Is it just me that feels we're rearranging the seats on the Titanic? Or, as Margo Channing would say, "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night..."

1 comment:

Edward Pearse said...

1.21 is to fix the crap from 1.20 which I whined about recently. As far as I've found 1.20 is more unstable than the previous edition, Monday night's 10 crashes in 30 minutes being a prime example.

Just think of it as the Windows school of programming :-)

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...