10 April, 2020

dyin' in the city like a fire on the water

Before everything, I've made a few more additions, and one subtraction, to the side bar. I'm removing the CDC banner from the sidebar. Normally, I'd be all for supporting their efforts, but their current boss is...not on our side.

So especially right now, when the US is leading the world in deaths (not a number one achievement we EVER wanted), I want to provide links for charities that are actually trying to save people.

Now then. Welcome to Badly Translated Theatre, only for once it's on his end, not mine:
[11:35] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: hi
Gad, the dreaded "hi". But okay, I'll bite, what do you want?
[11:35] Emilly Orr: Hello
[11:36] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: what is this server about?
[11:36] Emilly Orr: This event, you mean? Or Second Life as a whole?
[11:37] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: this event itself
[11:37] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I'm new to second life
The buildings of Neo-Japan
[11:38] Emilly Orr: Well, there are several shopping events during the year. This one is geared towards more Asian clothing, decor, hair, et cetera. With a slight aside for cyberpunk this time around.
[11:40] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I see, could you tell me what second life is about ?, I do not recognize who is bot and who is person
This is still a bigger problem online than in RL, but I'm sure we'll get there.
[11:41] Emilly Orr: It is a bit trickier since animesh, because some of the NPC builds can be named, and move like actual people.
[11:41] Emilly Orr: But in general, bots will have limited speech options, usually just a greeting.
Now, this is not always the case, to be fair. Some can actually answer questions, the ones that run with Alice or similar learning-AI software. This is still not widespread in SL, however.
[11:43] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: So, from what I see, you are not a bot xd
[11:44] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and what is the fun here in second life ?, I would like to know your opinion
[11:44] Emilly Orr: Nooo, definitely not. Lagging a bit, because of the scripting, but not a bot.
[11:45] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: jajajajaj
[11:45] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lol
The buildings of Neo-Japan
[11:59] Emilly Orr: Grr. Event crashed me. But to answer your question, it really depends what you're into.
[12:01] Emilly Orr: Like to read? Reading groups and libraries exist here. Like to build? There are places to learn how and stores to sell you mesh parts or textures if you don't know how to do that. Into fashion? INNUMERABLE stores for that. The Adult stuff? There's a whole continent on that, plus various businesses scattered around. Into roleplay? Name your flavor, there's probably a sim for it.
And I didn't cover half the things possible here--sailing, fishing, swimming, hunting, exploring of all flavors. Getting married and having a family. There are sims and centers for nearly all forms of faith, there's a few different ways to be a vampire or a shapeshifter, there's learning languages, or even the language SL runs on, for scripting. Dances. Race tracks. Weddings. Equestrian sims. Airports and flying machines, from sleekly modern craft to spaceships to ornately Victorian airships and blimps. Funerals. Executions. Train stations. Birth centers. Diagnostic centers to train RL doctors in various things. There are military sims (though usually without open public access), college campuses, full-scale businesses, art galleries.

And I'm still not listing everything.
[12:04] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I understand, thank you very much for supporting me: D
[12:05] Emilly Orr: Oh, sure!
[12:07] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: How am I noob on this, could it be added? as a friend so I can challenge if I have doubts
I...think he means "ask questions", here?
[12:09] Emilly Orr: Well, you could, but in general, I like to get to know people first, before I friend them. Most of my contacts are business.
Now, this may change as we see how the pandemic plays out. Already the business I'm in has seen a drop grid-wide, because so many people are out of work, and let's be fair here, most businesses in SL can be classified broadly as luxuries. RL is more important, always, and putting food on the table, keeping roofs over heads that need shelter, the ability to survive--these things are more important than a game.

Even a game like Second Life, which is played with real hearts and minds. So I may look into diversifying, getting back into creating frocks and home decor. It's at least something else to do.
[12:11] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I do not think we can meet, I am in Chile. Anyway I understand what you told me
[12:12] Emilly Orr: Ah, you misunderstand. I meant in-world business. I work in world.
[12:15] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: xd yes I understood, but I do not think I have a relationship with your contacts.
[12:16] Emilly Orr: Well, that's entirely up to you.
If he doesn't get what I mean, I am not explaining to a two-day-old the intricacies of virtual bordellos, he'll just have to learn on his own.
[12:18] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: How does it depend on me?
[12:18] Emilly Orr: Well, remember what I said, it's all in what you want?
[12:19] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yes obviously, but then ...
[12:20] Emilly Orr: It's all right.
Because I meant that, I was seriously not explaining things if he didn't get it.
[12:25] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: and what do you do to have fun here?
[12:26] Emilly Orr: I shop. I wander. I work. I go to events, and the occasional cultural showing (art or dance, usually)
[12:28] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh great and have you ever been to electronic music festivals?
[12:28] Emilly Orr: A few, yes. Other music styles, too. And they have a virtual Burn every year.
[12:30] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: How great, what a shame that around here there is not much of that. I plan in the future to go to work in America or Europe
[12:35] Emilly Orr: Sounds interesting.
I mean, I wouldn't, we've been in a chaotic death spiral for the last three years, which the pandemic has thrown into sharp relief. But, if things ever level out, sure, we could be a positive destination again.
[12:38] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: yes. Somewhere they recommend, that is fun for the second life.
[12:38] Emilly Orr: Well, and again, what do you want to do here? The options are pretty varied.
[12:41] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the truth would just like to socialize.
[12:43] Emilly Orr: Several ways to do that. RP if you're into characters--fantasy, survival horror, historical for examples. Or take the standard entrance, music clubs and bars. Pick what you want to listen to, type that into SL Search, or just type 'music' in general, and see what comes up.
[12:45] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: ok, thanks
[12:45] Emilly Orr: Happy to help.
[12:49] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: ok then i withdraw. Thanks again for your help. I really wish we could be friends. What do you say?
Man, he's persistent.
[12:51] Emilly Orr: Well, I mean, I can, but you're likely not going to hear much from me unless you're a personal, close friend--which you're not--or a client--which doesn't seem likely, but anything's possible.
[12:55] lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: It doesn't matter, you don't have any friends out of nowhere, right? xd when I connect I will bother you a little so as not to lose contact.
I'm too much of a soft touch. He's two days old, he's not going to pay for my time, and he's not someone I like enough to spend personal time with, so...why am I bothering? Who knows? Maybe because he just seemed so damned earnest.

But we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...