21 September, 2013

hold my tongue before I say too much

I've been having some trouble sleeping, of late, so these past few days have seen far too many very early mornings. Apparently, people don't think clearly early in the morning...

It started here:

[09:50] Txxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: THE POTION DEPOT
All Potions = 35L
Shubbie Food = 35L
10-PACKS only 299L!!! ㋡
[09:50] Axxx Zxxxxxxxx: How goes it hunters/fishers? been a while.
[09:51] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: waves
[09:52] Kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx:
[actual Marketplace link redacted]
[09:52] Gxxxx Hxxxx: [[Group moderator issues a warning for Kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx]]


So, this particular group, something like this happens every day. It's one of a few hunt/fish/find groups I'm in, currently, all of which exchange either time or treasure for Lindens (or at least, bits of Lindens), that once one reaches at least one full Linden, one can then cash out. They're all pretty much based on various models of sim traffic generation, and I'm happy to help them refine their techniques for small amounts of personal gain.

At least until I find a job I think I can a) do well, and b) trust enough to be loyal to, after my checkerboard past employment history.

In this particular group, there are pretty strict policies. No advertising unless it's from a merchant in the group, and related to this group's products/goals, no drama (or at little as possible), no cursing, keep things friendly and polite.

So the Potion Depot, being both a registered fishing spot, and an occasional coin-hunting spot, qualifies on both levels for this group, and has permission to send out text ads on occasion. Mr. K, he of the wholly non-related "come buy my clothing that looks like a lot of other mainland clothing shops' lines" store, was not allowed to send out advertising.

[09:53] Kxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: ok

And Mr. K even agreed afterwards. Sent, warned, done, right? ...Well, not exactly.

[09:54] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: WHY IS THERE A WARNIGN FOR Kxxxxx?
[09:55] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: he is posting links to MP in here we dont allow advertising.


Also, it's spelled "warning". And you managed to misspell Mr. K's name, there. It's only five letters, come on now.

But demonstrating her total lack of understanding...

[09:55] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: [09:50:27] Txxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: THE POTION DEPOT
All Potions = 35L
Shubbie Food = 35L
10-PACKS only 299L!!! ㋡
[09:55] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: ISNT THAT ADVERTISE?
[09:55] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: that is advertising OUR products
[09:55] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: OOOHHHH
[09:55] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: OK
[09:56] Cxxxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxxxxxx: [Kxxxxxx], is your caps lock stuck?


I thought it was a pretty reasonable question. Many of us were thinking it, after all.

[09:56] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NO [09:56] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I TYPE IN CAPS ALOT

"A lot". And why?

[09:56] Cxxxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxxxxxx: oh ok
[09:56] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: CUZ EVERYONE ELSE TYPES IN LOWER CASE
[09:56] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: SO I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT
[09:56] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAHAHA


..."Blahaha"?? Also, "because". But "blahaha" is still getting me.

[09:57] Hxxxxx Rxxxxxxxx: so you need attention ? well most people will simply mute you
[09:57] Axxx Zxxxxxxxx: [Kxxxxx] I THINK YA LANDED THE DIFFERENT ROLE WITHOUT THE CAPS PRETTY EASILY...JUST SAYING IS ALL.
[09:57] Axxx Zxxxxxxxx: ACK
[09:57] Axxx Zxxxxxxxx: it's contagious!!!


That's when [Axxx] noticed his caps lock actually was on.

Ms. [Kxxxxx] hadn't caught on, how'ver.

[09:57] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: HUH
[09:57] Mxxxx Lxxxxxxx: caps is classed as shouting


And also generally considered rude.

[09:57] Emilly Orr admits to struggling with the temptation to mute [Kxxxxx] just for the all-caps thing.
[09:57] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NO ITS NOT
[09:58] Mxxxx Lxxxxxxx: yes it is
[09:57] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: CAPS DOESNT MEAN SHOUTING
[09:58] Emilly Orr: Yes, yes it does. It always has.
[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NOW


Now what?

[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NO

Oh. ...Wait, now she can't spell two-letter words without mangling them? Really?

[09:58] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: pretty much yes unless you have a disability.
[09:58] ixxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx ~stuffs [Kxxxxx's] mouth with marshmellows~ shhhh... shhhhh
[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: A "!"
[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: THATS SHOUT


So...it's only shouting at someone else if exclamation points are involved? That makes no sense.

[09:58] Mxxxx Lxxxxxxx: yep
[09:58] Emilly Orr: That temptation is becoming stronger.
[09:58] Cxxxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxxxxxx: [Txxxx], im going deaf in here :)
[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: CAPS IS FOR GRAPPIGN ATTENTION


"Grabbing".

[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I WOULD KNOW

Apparently not, because she was still yelling at everyone.

[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: OR PERSON EXPERSSION

"Expression".

[09:58] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I STUDIED IT IN COLLEGE

You went to college, Ms. [Kxxxxx]?

[09:58] Uxxxxx Nxxxxx: Thank god for muting

I was beginning to feel strongly the same way. But I had an ethical dilemma--she wasn't using racially insensitive words, she wasn't cursing a blue streak, she just wasn't as bright as she thought she was. I'd be the worst sort of elitist--and I tend that way anyway, which is something I'm trying to correct--if I muted everyone who couldn't type on the grid.

[09:58] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: you can type on caps here ........ but if it goes into drama causing behaviour then it will be handled .
[09:59] Emilly Orr: I think you mean "expression", there, Kxxxxx.
[09:59] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: coming from someone with a disability, I agree with terry.
[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NOT ME
[09:59] Emilly Orr: Also "grabbing".
[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: WELL THEY DECIDED TO COMMENT ON IT
[09:59] Emilly Orr: Because you're yelling at everyone!


I think that's fair, isn't it? She's blaming the rest of the chat for her poor behavior, as if everything would have been perfectly fine had we not said a word on her shouting at the group.

[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: UM NO
[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL


Oh, gods, on top of everything else...She's a lolperson. Gyaaaah.

[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: WELL BOLD MEAN SHOUTING AS WELL THEN

It can, yes, though it's far more difficult to add emphasis in SL text, due to the lack of emphasis text. What we can use, and frequently do use, are conventions like *this*, or _this_, or ~this~. There are others, but all of them are fairly standard ways to indicate text that should be read as italicized, or bolded, or even as a direct emote/descriptive line.

We can even use ALL UPPER CASE to indicate bold text, but...then the problem becomes, since any emphasizing text is just that, for use to emphasize the non- emphasized text...then how are we properly supposed to read text from an avatar who NEVER HAS NON-EMPHASIZED TEXT?

Answer, virtually anywhere on the grid or on the net: as shouting. The fact of which seemed to mystifyingly elude her comprehension utterly.

[09:59] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: HAVE A GREAT DAY
[09:59] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx rubs her temples, sighing.
[10:00] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAHA
[10:00] Cxxxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxxxxxx shakes his head
[10:00] Emilly Orr pulls [Kxxxxx's] profile and is honestly not surprised by the all-caps nature of almost everything there, too.
[10:00] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: It's funny that I have Aspergers yet I'm more polite then someone without it.
[10:01] Gxxxx Hxxxx: 6.5 - Group chat is a place for friends to enjoy mature and amicable conversation. It is not a hotbed for drama. Instigators of drama in group will not be tolerated. Personal, highly political or emotive issues should also be sorted out on a personal basis and not in group.
[10:03] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NO WHERE IN THAT DOES IT SAY I CANT TYPE IN CAPS
[10:03] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: DDUUUUUUHHHH


Maybe not, but I do believe her actions led to group drama, which is discouraged. Also, I believe being rude to a moderator of the chat is never a good idea.

[10:03] Emilly Orr rolls her eyes.
[10:03] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx facepalms.
[10:04] Cxxxxxxxxxxxx Axxxxxxxxx: oh good lord [Kxxxxx] still here
[10:04] Axxx Zxxxxxxxx .../facepalm
[10:04] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: Are you five.
[10:04] Emilly Orr: Still fighting against that temptation to mute.
[10:04] Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: [Kxxxxx] how old are you.
[10:04] Txxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: lets move on


And we all tried to, because [Txxxxxxxxxx] is another mod in the group.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the end of things for me, because...for some reason known only to her spinning neurons, she IMed me.

[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAA
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I JUST ADD ALL MY ALTS
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL


And I would care...why, exactly?

[10:05] Emilly Orr: Not talking to you if you're going to scream at me.
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: DONT
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: Y NOT JUST EJECT ME
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL


Now I was really confused. Did she know she was just talking to me, and not to an actual group moderator? Had one of the mods written her with a warning, and she wrote me back by mistake? I was baffled.

Also, that would be "why not just eject me", [Kxxxxx]. Just so you know.

[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: U WANT THE NUMBERS
[10:05] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAHA
[10:06] Emilly Orr: Because I'm not a moderator or an owner of the group, you nitwit.
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: SO STOP TALKING TO ME


Let me get this straight. Ms. [Kxxxxx] wanted to send me a personal message, so she could tell me not to talk to her, when I had no interest in talking to her in the first place!

I began to wonder if she was either on drugs, drunk, or off her meds somehow.

[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAHA
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: DUMB ASS
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:07] Emilly Orr: Nah, I'm just seeing where this goes for later publication.


I was, too. I'd started taking notes while this was going on, for two reasons: one, this entire interchange never ceased to be baffling, and two, it was a somewhat refreshing break from pixel-aligning the new build.

[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: DOESNT MATTER
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: STOP TALKIGN TO ME
[10:07] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Emilly Orr: "Talking".
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: ITS CALLED A TYPO
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: DUMMY


Oh, just savor the irony. The woman who can't spell is calling me dumb for correcting her spelling mistakes. That very nearly made me smile.

[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NOW
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: STOP TALKIGNT OT ME
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Emilly Orr: "Talking". Also "to".

I know, past a certain point it's more like poking a baby in a crib, not an honest intellectual challenge...but she was irritating, and I'm far too easy to irritate most days.

[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LET SEE IF U CAN FIGURE THIS ONE OUT
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BIWTCH
[10:08] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:08] Emilly Orr: Seriously?


And I just have to wonder...was she trying to mispell that word, or did she mangle it further in her attempt to be "cool" or "amusing" or...whatever it was she thought she was actually doing here.

[10:09] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: STOP TALKING TO ME
[10:09] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: HAHAHA
[10:09] Emilly Orr: You started this.
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: OL
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: NO
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I HAVE MY OWN RIGHT TO TYPE


As I keep correcting people on the grid, no one has the right to free speech there, because it's not a public holding, it's a software company. Linden Lab is the sum total decisionary on who says what, when, about what, and for how long. That anyone, including our bubble-headed screamer here, thinks they have a "right" to say anything is so beyond laughable, it swings around into tragically sad.

[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: I DIDNT
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: AND IM
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: YOU DID
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: IF YOU DIDNT WANT ME TALKING TO YOU YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID SO ;
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LIKE I JUST DID


I admit, I'm failing utterly to grasp whatever logic point she's trying to make, here. It eludes me.

[10:10] Emilly Orr: No, actually, *you* IMed *me*.
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BUT YOU CONTINUE TO TYPE
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: SO THAT MEANS YOU REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND
[10:10] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: WHICH MEAN EVEN IF YOU DO DECIDE TO REPORT ME
[10:11] Emilly Orr: Who said anything about reporting you?


Seriously, who mentioned reporting? If I say I'm going to report someone, I usually say I'm going to abuse-report them. Most of the time, I go ahead and AR them, then tell them they've been ARed. I don't bother to warn anyone in advance.

If I--and again, this is a largeish "if"--tell someone I'm considering their words for publication, that means here, or on one of my other blogs. Because I do have a few, chiefest of which is actually linked on the web section of my SL profile. It's hardly a secret.

[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: MY RESPOND TO LL IS THAT I PLAINLY ASKED YOU SEVERAL TIMES O STOP TALKING TO ME
[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: AND YOU REFUSED
[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: AND I CAN REPORT YOU
[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: BLAHAHA

For...what, exactly? Holding a conversation? In which I say very, very little beyond correcting her spelling? Yeah, that's going to go a long way.

[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: JUST LETTIGN U KNOW UR CHOICES SWEETY THATS ALL
[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx:
BLAHAHA
[10:11] Emilly Orr rolls her eyes and goes back to building.

I did, too. I'd had it with her nonsense. Everything past this point came in after I'd closed the window.

[10:11] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: AND FOR SOMEONE THAT DONT WANT TO TALK YOU SURE ARE RESPONDING
[10:12] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL
[10:12] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: GO BACK TO BUILDING
[10:12] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: AND PLEASE DONT TALK TO ME
[10:12] Kxxxxx Kxxxx: LOL

I have no intention to, but I do feel sorry for her friends, and--assuming it's actually happened--any loves she might have. Those poor, sainted souls putting up with Ms. [Kxxxxx] screaming at them at all hours. They're very brave.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...