24 November, 2015

how will this pan out? search and wish, so loud

Tuesdays are prime for wandering, because I'm a massive fan of the 25LT sales group. While the initial group of designers started out with a decided Gorean bent, they've since expanded to anything that can be considered roleplay or fantasy based, and now have several merchants that offer things suitable for medieval wear, Gorean RP, and rustic home decor. I've been very pleased with how they've grown.

How'ver, since it did start out as a more Gorean-themed sales event, there's a lot of kajira, Free Women and warlords who wander, as well. So--while I am liable at any point to pull profiles if I'm curious--I tend to emphasis it on Tuesdays, because I'm the curious sort and it's convenient.

Of course, I don't always get the answers I expect, and...frankly, that's part of the fun.

From a random profile:
Unseelie Code:
Change is good
Glamour is free
Honor is a lie
Passion before duty

Changelings are creatures of dream, a fae soul trapped in mortal flesh, easily able to shift between a mortal seeming and their fairy mien. Born of two worlds, they live in the mundane, but truly exist in a world of fantasy, mists, and dreams.

Changelings experience the world as a magical, mystical place filled with amazing and exciting things. They are travelers of the dream realm, masters of illusion, empaths and manipulators of emotions. They feed on the musings and emotions of others to inspire and power their magic.
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/changelinginfo/kithain.html
So, I went off to read the link, and...it strikes me as more White Wolf/Changeling: the Dreaming general roleplay, than anything, but I am intrigued that--without specifically knowing about this page of 'kith breakdowns'--I had initially set myself up in Lumindor as a changeling phouka.

From the page:
Pooka (POO-kuh):
The shapechanging tricksters. All pooka are tied to a specific type of animal, and in their fae miens will have aspects of that animal (whiskers, scales, feathers, ears, tails, etc.). They are able to shapechange into that animal, if unobserved. They are also great listeners, and can often persuade people in conversation to tell them some of their most protected secrets. They have a problem telling the truth though. The truth simply isn't interesting to a pooka, and they feel that they must always improve on it in some way.
Ah, improooovements. Well, I won't say I've ever been committed to portraying any one fixed "truth", and I do like to think--whether true or not--that my sense of honor and personal bent towards honesty are firmer than this description...I have in the past and likely will continue telling truths that don't necessarily mesh with the rest of the tellers out there, simply because I see things so differently at times.

What largely influenced me, setting up my little fae for Lumindor, was the Phouka from Emma Bull's War for the Oaks, as well as both Irish and Welsh mythologies concerning the concept. At the time, running around Lumindor, I had my standard, very short, pale fae for Court functions, a black-furred Tiny rabbit avatar, and a black anthropomorphic horse (and later, with some given relational controversy, a dappled grey four-legged horse). At the time I kept looking for a black four-legged goat avatar, as well--I would've settled for an anthropomorphic goat, even--but at the time, I never found one.

Still, me being me, other things crept in, and felt natural to express. Antlers, or other forms of horns; wings; and cat ears, tails and whiskers. These aren't precisely part of the phouka mythology, but...they felt right, so I didn't overthink it.

And by the time I joined Caledon, wearing these little extra details had become second nature. Even now, I feel more comfortable in a set of horns, or cat ears and tail, than I ever do in purely human guise.

I still refer to myself as fae when asked. I still think of myself as Unseelie. I don't think I precisely match other Unseelie on the grid--the Unseelie in Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry books would say there's too much Seelie in my makeup--but I'm always amused to find someone else drawn to the Winter Court.

Something else from that same gentle's profile I fell in love with:
➊. If I like it, it's mine.
➋. If I saw it first, it's mine.
➌. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
➍. If it looks like mine, it's mine.
➎. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
➏. If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
➐. If there's more than one, ALL of them are mine.
➑. If you have something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
➒. If it's mine, it must NEVER appear to be yours in any way.
➓. If I get bored with it or it breaks, it's yours.
Ah, cat rules. I recognize these.

My cats on the grid aren't quite this grabby, but on occasion, these behaviors have surfaced, for all I do my best to play the lady, and not the gutter-kitten.

Profile-pondering is fun.

No comments:

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...