30 May, 2008

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry

Ooh, some of these make my fingers itch with the desire to pick up a riveter and recreate them on the grid...Lovely little pieces. Tip of the geared hat to the Consulate crew, and/or Miss Davies, for bringing it to my attention.

Other Consulate-related news (sorta): it seems at Boomtown's grand opening, a certain Keenly Valiant was seen? Damn, I thought Steelhead had gotten rid of the clown for good. Can anyone confirm this?

In other, far more dire news: Child avatars are banned from building anything for the fifth anniversary celebration of Second Life.

Think I'm kidding? Think again. This is so far beyond disheartening. And the weirdest part of all of it--according to Robin Linden, child avatars will be allowed to attend, just not present.

Now, I'm the first to admit--I'm not a member of the SL child community. But I am an outspoken advocate of SL's doll community, and--not surprisingly--many dolls are either short, childlike in appearance, or actually structured as children.

My first dollform was just over four feet tall. My Unseelie pixie form--designed as an adult--is approximately three feet tall. And I will also admit, the last time the protests raged, I restructured my doll form to be taller and more curvaceous, because it unnerved me that people would think my doll was a child.

Now, these were the sim rules; supposedly there have been no posted changes. But this is--apparently, by report--change coming from the highest levels.

All sims will carry PG content, we are told, no child avatar builds, we are told. What's next?

All I know is, SL's well on its way to becoming NeoPets, at this point.

4 comments:

Edward Pearse said...

Ordinal Malaprop has an insightful post on her blog worth reading

Emilly Orr said...

Indeed it was. And it's linked in a later entry.

Anonymous said...

I opened a jira issue 'missing cultures and communities at SL5B', we would appreciate your vote: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-1231

kind regards,
Vint Falken

Emilly Orr said...

Voted for it, and mentioned in a later entry. Hopefully that will help, too.

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...