22 October, 2020

how much I let the fear take the wheel and steer

Walked in on a statement from a friend elsewhere:
[6:53 AM] SphynxCatVP: Blake Sea regions are uplifted, so if you want to see what region crossings are like, pic a blake, fly up, and then fly across borders
I think she means uploaded?

Which I think--if I'm not wrong--means the entire Blake Sea chain of sim data is now in the cloud.

blake-sea1

So I started in Spyglass. Figured flying was my best bet.

Right now I'm angled towards Brigantine, so that's where I'll go next.

blake-sea2

Crossing into Brigantine, and then into Lanyard, there was just a brief bright flicker--no swooping down or up, no losing control, no jittering as one sim fought to hand off my data to another.

Crossing into Half Hitch was the first serious crossing resembling the old-style ones, but...even that was a quarter-second of black screen, then everything restored. No jitter, no lag.

blake-sea3

Now in Turnbuckle, and talking with a friend about the project:
[11:58] Exx Oxxxxxx hugs you tightly, kisses you softly, gently, just because...
[11:59] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr) smiles, and had opened the window to say something, and then got distracted by someone's comment elsewhere. :)
[12:00] Exx Oxxxxxx: "Look! Shiny...." *grins*
[12:00] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr) giggles
[12:00] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): More, "Look, the Blake Sea has been uploaded fully to the cloud, you should check out the sim transitions."
[12:01] Exx Oxxxxxx: Is there any visible impact of the upload? Do you know?
[12:02] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): Well, I've gone through....*checks*
[12:02] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): Five sims so far, and about the only impact was crossing Lanyard into Half Hitch, where the screen went black for a microsecond.
[12:02] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): So far, no jittering, no lag, that I'm noticing at least.
[12:03] Emilly Shatner-Orr (emilly.orr): I did see one ship sail by where the two avatars in it were jumping back and forth, so...it may be worse on the ground?
[12:03] Exx Oxxxxxx: It will be interesting to see what the impacts are, in any, as things settle down
It will be.

blake-sea4

Now in Windlass, and for all I can tell--if the Blake Sea is any indication--sim crossing is going to be a LOT easier. Let's hope that I'm right!

Obviously, this is only a (brief) flyover--I have no idea how choppy the seas are if one is actually trying to pilot a ship. Though willing to try it with someone who wants to do a sailing run, or I'll pick an afternoon and flip on fins and see how the sim crossings are under the surface.

No comments:

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...