01 June, 2007

we are nowhere and it's now

I'll inform the participants of this later, but for all of me, Taiyou's on hiatus until I figure out what the hell the new rulings from the gods of the grid exactly mean.

To wit, I quote:

"Real-life images, avatar portrayals, and other depiction of sexual or lewd acts involving or appearing to involve children or minors; real-life images, avatar portrayals, and other depictions of sexual violence including rape, real-life images, avatar portrayals, and other depictions of extreme or graphic violence, and other broadly offensive content are never allowed or tolerated within Second Life."

Um...yeah. So what does that mean? Places like Jessie, where people go to hassle the redneck elves that run the place, practice heavy-armament combat, killing for the sport of it? Is that verboten now? Or do we go all the way down to a happily married couple, say, where the wife's in a collar by choice, and submits to the will of her husband, nothing more offensive than kneeling in public? I mean, who says what's offensive?

My definition of offensive may be radically different from yours. My definition of offensive may include things that would make people at the Labs drop stone dead at my feet. But I have a friend on the grid who's very faithful to his version of God, very respectful of the rules of Abraham in this new world, and what's offensive to him? Is everyday fare for me.

Who draws the line? And will that line change? Are we moving to a place where any sexualized behavior--in public or private--will no longer be allowed on the grid?

And who defines extreme violence? Does that mean the gaming sims are dead? Redemption, Lumindor, Toxia, Dark City, all the others? Does that mean Dark Life folds up and goes home? Who decides what's extreme? Who decides what's too much?

I didn't come to to the grid to live in a sandbox. Creativity's fine, but I am an adult, I want to live my life in adult ways, and sometimes, just sometimes, that means sex, that means adult situations, on occasion that has meant violence. We are learning beings, creating what joy we can, but we are not without our dark sides. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

So Taiyou? Not opening until I get some clarity. I will not endanger Miss Kattrynn's sim on a whim that may change when the wind changes at the Labs.

2 comments:

Edward Pearse said...

I don't think you'll get any clarification. That would require them to have a clue.

Though I will commend this little entry to your reading list. Read the comments too.

Emilly Orr said...

Ah, lovely bit from Miss Malaprop.

And yes, that's what I'm afraid of, that they're planning to leave everything that vague.

I wanna live a vibrant life, but I wanna die a boring death

This is the..."Ham Tree"...at LORE . It's a group gift. Mesmer's love of meat where meat should not be is spreading... ...