02 June, 2017

there's an SOS, I'm calling out

I've had a problem for a while with finding a solid, dependable ankle lock. I had one, from Mesh Agency*, and it worked without fail, but on the last update of Firestorm, it stopped working. So I picked up some others, intending to find one that worked consistently with the burlesque chairs we use at Sakura, which are from Henmations.

* (Technically, it was sold by [BREATHE] on the MP; I can't find it now, but that's because Mesh Agency specifically says buyers are not to sell it as an independent item, only with shoes, so...that may be why I can't track it down at this point.)

So, last night, friend of mine needed a live body to bed-test. This was over at Newcastle, so off we went, and I noticed that many of the poses really broke my ankles. And the default I'd been running with, from *BoSH*, totally didn't fix it, even after several resets. So in desperation, I started at the top of my folder of ankle locks and as it turned out, the one from Diamond worked like a charm. Yay.

But it got me thinking--why is this happening? It's far from the first time I've noticed; in fact, it's been a couple months, at least. This shouldn't be a big problem because the script for any ankle lock seems pretty simple, doesn't it?

Anyway, had a conversation with someone from Meli Imako's group about the problem. I'm not the only one to notice.
[12:38] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: ty, so i might not be failing it's the script itself. i tested the anim in world by itself and it worked... i'm sitting here thinking damn near ten years building experience and i'm being bested by this thing
[12:38] Emilly Orr: Right.
[12:38] Emilly Orr: there is something IN the script currently, and I don't know enough about scripting to find it.
[12:39] Emilly Orr: But either LL broke a facet of their programming language, or different items are now interacting with other items in non-expected ways. Maybe it's a priority setting?
[12:40] Emilly Orr: Like, last night, testing a bed for sale at Newcastle, I noticed my ankles broke, and I was wearing the BoSH ankle lock. Wouldn't work even after reset.
[12:40] Emilly Orr: Took it off and put on the Diamond ankle lock, which hasn't worked on ANYTHING else, and it worked. So I have no clue.
I didn't think to capture pics at the time, but I went back by myself for a quick before-and-after. This is without the Diamond ankle lock:



This is the before pic, with me wearing the *BoSH* ankle HUD. And this one:



is my ankle after application of the Diamond ankle HUD.
[12:42] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: i just bought his $1 to test and i noticed it was working mostly but faded and my AO started taking it over. so i thought well maybe if it's in the shoe it'll work better so i got the builder edition and then my meli hud didn't work and it wasent working iether
[12:42] Emilly Orr: See? It's a bug, somewhere, but it's elusive.
[12:42] Emilly Orr: If you figure it out, announce it somewhere, it's been a headache for a while!
[12:44] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: i was honestly thinking it was bosh, i have never fully been happy with his scripts. he was the first hud i used years ago but when he went to the 1 script version for mesh something about it i didn't like
[12:45] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: it might be easier to figure out if the scripts wernt no mod... i understand why they are but it means no one can look at them to figure it out
[12:45] Emilly Orr: Hmm.
[12:45] Emilly Orr: That's something.
[12:45] Emilly Orr: A moddable ankle lock script.
[12:46] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: i would think all it has to be is a play anim script to work
[12:48] Emilly Orr: Okay: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/AnkleLock
[12:48] Emilly Orr: They mention it was recently updated.
[12:58] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: you click on the link to the updated project and it comes up as an error. or did i miss something
Nope. It 404s (without actually 404-ing.)
[12:59] Emilly Orr: Damn.
[13:00] Emilly Orr: That may be part of the problem.
[13:00] Emilly Orr: Now it's a puzzle!
[13:03] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: i wonder if boch would be able to help. i have talked to him a few times... he tries to mansplane things though
[13:06] Emilly Orr: Ugh. But maybe, it's worth the ask, at least.
[13:12] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: well, he's online and says he's checking
[13:14] Emilly Orr: Interesting. I wonder if he's noticed anything.
[13:14] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: he says he's checking the script sorce and it'll be a few
[13:19] BBxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: he gave me a new script to try, let you know in a few
[13:19] Emilly Orr: Keen
[13:30] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: took a while for the AO to cycle through to an animation that twists the ankle but.... still no dice
[13:30] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: [sent a picture link, picture below]


[13:33] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: said he has to look in to it deeper and refunded me
[13:44] Emilly Orr: Went afk for coffee
[13:45] Emilly Orr: I'm not going to sweat a Linden, but that he sees a problem, too, that's interesting
[13:45] Emilly Orr: Huh. Standing? I've never had problems standing. That's deeply odd.
[13:48] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: well i'm not even sweating the 99 i spent for the builder edition... i have wasted more than that on things that wont work for me lol
[13:50] Emilly Orr: So true
[13:51] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: oy i need some Tylenol now lol, i posted the result to meli's grp if anyone pays attention lol
[13:52] Emilly Orr: Maybe someone will
[13:52] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: you want me to update once he gets done with the script?
[13:53] Bxxxxxxxxx Sxxxx: he said it should be a few hours but it might be longer
[13:54] Emilly Orr: Sure!
She hasn't gotten back to me yet, I'm probably going to IM her and ask in a day or so. But something else has occurred to me--maybe it's not that the Lindens broke something, but that Firestorm broke something on their update? We're both on Firestorm, so...is that the answer? Who do we ask then?

It's still a puzzle. The mystery abounds.

No comments:

I've got a three day headache and it's all in my head

It's the 30th of March. One day before Ostara. And there's been a lot of...well. Conversations like the one below. [18:43] Emil...